15 Hp flywheel become loose now pull start hard to pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Hp flywheel become loose now pull start hard to pull

Hi, I have a 1996 evinrude 15 HP I have recently been working on the engine.
    The motor was running when I heard a funny noise on inspection the flywheel nut had become loose so I tightened it back up and now it is hard to pull.
    I can pull it about half way and then it feels like there is a build up of compression and it becomes hard to pull. With the plugs out it feels like it is still a bit tighter than before the flywheel become loose but pulls right through the pull start cord.
    I have pulled off the bottom end gearcase as I just finished fitting a new impeller but it is still tight to pull so that rules out the bottom end.
    The actual pull start where it lock it out when it is gear I don't think is the problem as it pulls ok with the plugs out.
    I couldn't get the motor to start now with the restricted pulling action but I checked the spark and is all good plugs where a bit oily, it usualy starts well with a couple full of pulls of the rope.
    Other recent thing I have done to the motor are-
    cleaned the carby and put kit throuh it
    put a fuel pump kit through it
    replaced the gearcase oil
    new plugs
    The reason for doing the work was that the motor was not reving out when under load in the water on the stand at home it reved it's *** off but was hardly moving a 12 tinnie in the water.
    Any help on why the motor has become hard to pull would be apreciated.
    Thanks
    Michael

Loosen the nut and see if it pulls thru.If it does the flywheel may be dragging.Be sure the key in the flywheel has not sheared off.

Comment

Thanks Elton I have taken the flywheel off and The key has been sheared off.
      Do you think that the key sheared off because it has been hard to pull or it sheared off and caused it to become hard to pull ? (Hmm thats a bit confusing).
      I have now found the keys locally for $5.50 ea so I'll get a spare just in case
      Thanks
      Michael
      Last edited by miccor; 07-15-2013, 05:03 AM.

Comment

When it sheard the key off it let the flywheel move down .A kick back usually shears the key.Should be ok when you put a new key in it.

Comment

Thanks Elton, I'm still waiting on the keys to arrive ... hopefully it's all good when put back together.

Comment

Working...
          X