Starter issues for a 25 hp Evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter issues for a 25 hp Evinrude

Ok, first I will describe the issue I'm having with the starter: when I turn the key, there is a very faint noise of the starter attempting to spin, then a 2-3 second pause of nothing, and then the starter will usually spin enough and the engine will fire right up. This is with a "warm" engine last night: driving around the lake, meeting up with friends and stopping for 1-30 minute intervals. When the engine was "cold" at 5pm, it cranked 3 times in a row, right away. I'm pretty sure the starter is on it's way out.

So, I'm trying to purchase a new starter. Mine has 9 teeth, and the long 5"-ish bolts thru the housing must spin freely (after removing nuts if they exist) in order to thread into the mounting bracket. My starter looks exactly like this one: 22161 - Starter - OMC Marine Outboards

HOWEVER: when they received it from their warehouse, and when I ordered one from eBay with that picture in the listing, they look a bit different, and BOTH of them the "top plate" of the starter is threaded, so the bolts can't spin freely.

So: anyone else had this issue, or does anyone know who actually has the right part, and hopefully for less than $150? Or, did anyone buy the version I'm finding and drill out the top plate? Or, did you get yours rebuilt- I have that option locally here in Detroit area.

Thanks for your help!
Working...
X