89 evinrude 40hp warm/hot start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 evinrude 40hp warm/hot start issue

Motor fires right up when cold. Can run to the fishing spot kill it, fish for 5-20 minutes then go to fire it up cranks over fast but will not fire.

In most instances I am able to wait for awhile and it will fire up but last Saturday this was not the case, it left me stranded a 1/4 mile from the boat ramp. This time I brought a inline spark tester and plugged it it when it would not start. The bulb on the tester was dim on both cylinders but indicated spark. When I pull the plugs there wet so fuel delivery does not appear to be the issue.

Before this last trip I stuck my tank for water none present, replaced the primer bulb and plugs recently and also disconnected the kill switch. I checked compression and on both cylinders it was 150 psi.

What's bizarre is by the time I brought it home I tried to fire it up and it started right up. Could this be a power pack or coil issue?

Check and see if the overboard indicator is pumping water.Thats the small hose thats by the telltail.That will let you know if the thermostat is opening.It will only open when hot.

Comment

Working...
    X