1960 evinrude lightwin 3 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 evinrude lightwin 3 hp

i am refurbishing this motor. it is in good condition except for the ignition coils. i have replaced both coils and condensers with genuine evinrude replacements, also replaced both plug wires but cannot get spark from the plugs. points are good and working properly. tested for output voltage from plug boot to motor frame and read up to 200 volts output when i spin the flywheel with a cordless drill. cant figure out why i have no spark when plug is seated in boot and i ground plug base to motor case

be sure coils arent rubbing flywheel
    Last edited by Elton Smith; 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

no spark

Elton is right, coils that rub the flywheel magnets produce NO power. OK, pull the flywheel again, the mounting bosses that the coils mount to are machined on the outer surface. Loosen the coil screws, align the coil laminates so they are flush with the machined surface. This ***ures the coils wont rub the flywheel and is the proper clearence. Reinstall flywheel and spin by hand, spark should occur, if not, you've got something grounded in the magneto plate or the point gap is incorrect. spec is .020 on each set.

Comment

1960 lightwin

thanks for ur responses. I had tested the points with a multimeter to ensure they were isolated from ground, but when I applied real voltage from the ignition coils the fibre insulation was breaking down and bleeding most of the voltage to ground. installed new point kits and now I have plenty of spark. thanks again for ur replies

Comment

Working...
        X