my 61 5522 fisherman project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 61 5522 fisherman project

putting a metal roof on a guys garage and i see this laying beside a burnpile with some other scrap metal. the guy just wants to scrap it so i gave him a 20 for it he says he aint touched it in 3 years been sitting in his garage till a week ago.i
    take it home pull the plugs out and pull the rope it pushes my finger off then sucks it back in. put the plug back on the wire and both sides have spark start looking all around checking it out clean the plugs off and just messing around one shot of starter fluid and it starts right up so i take a 50 gallon drum fill it with water have make up a few cups of 2cycle stick the fuel line in it and pump it till i see it in the gla_ss bowl and first pull just starts right up give it throttle and everythings good only thing is its not shooting water out , this is my first boat motor so im not too sure where its suppose to shoot out but im sure its the hole i see. but as ive been reading everywhere says impellors go bad very easy and every couple years you will probably be changing it. found a site marineengine.com bought a thermostat(just incase) a fuel filter, plugs, impeller,some pull rope for back up and the 4 screws that go in the intake/carb area

heres a few pics of it going to do some serious degreasing tomorrow

also going to change the lower gear oil
    anyone know what im suppose to buy? ive been looking around and dont get a real answer i printed out a manual but it just tell me a omc type c but its for over 50 different models of motors not sure if its specific to this one. also the manual says this is supplied in a tube and filled by attaching tube to lower gear case screw when i search for some it is all in a quart

also when changing the impeller not to sure how to get to it
    im guessing one of those
    if anyone could help i would apreaciate it
    Last edited by erreertt; 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

this is what itll be pushing im hoping it will do it fine i run it with a 40lb minn kota now and it moves it decent to fish but if youre not hugging the banks and take the middle of the lake it feels like its barely moving. its a 15' fibergl*** its very wide and has pretty tall sides dont have a better picture at the moment but you can easily walk from one side to the other without any problem last owner stood on the sidewall and it still had room before water would come in im sure this probably needs a bigger motor but if its at least double the trolling speed i think i can manage

Comment

Those little motors are bullet proof,I wish they still made um that way.That thing has cast iron pistons in it.The pic of the slow speed screw will be the key to it once you get it set just leave it alone.Use 90 wt marine grease in the foot,it will mix 50/50 with water and still do the job.Ithink I saw a 3 blade prop if so thats a big plus most only had 2.It will not be a speed demon but very reliable.To change the impeller is very easy.Break it away just below the lower rubber mount, it will drop down just enough to get to the shift rod splice.Remove the top bolt and pull it apart.There will be a very small t shape key that holds the impeller in place.That will be in thye housing on top of the foot.Good luck
        Last edited by Elton Smith; 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

yea its a 3 blade.. and with the low speed and high speed knobs im going to have to mess around with to find out where they need to go. thanks for the help my parts come in tomorrow so im going to start messing with it i have 2 weeks before i get a day off so it should be done by then and ill go try it out on the water

Comment

Originally posted by Elton Smith View Post
            .To change the impeller is very easy.Break it away just below the lower rubber mount, it will drop down just enough to get to the shift rod splice.Remove the top bolt and pull it apart.

i am having a horrible time with this i get the lower section to come down about an inch or 2 but there is nothing splicing the shift rod i cant find any good video on youtube either i see some 4hp and it shows them removing the bolts and pulling the unit instantly out rods and all i tried but didnt pull too hard dont want to damage anything. also when i pull it down it shifts it down to reverse . there is a fatter rod that spins with the propellor(goes into what i think is the housing above the impeller, a tube i dont know for sure what that is maybe what p***es the water through and the thin rod im thinking is the shift rod it goes into a metal housing inside the leg between the lowerunit/ propellor and the bolts i took to drop them down but there is no bolt or anything it is just going into it. i cant see much up towards the motor part but im not seeing anything and i can see a few inches up and i dont see it being able to pull down more than that

Comment

lower unit leaking oil help

p.s. i dont know what it was from either mixing with water or the oil they used but it was a brownish grey almost like a tub of grease dont know how to explain it but it wasnt black like i seen on a video of changing it this is a milky thick odd color
              Last edited by erreertt; 08-14-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

i think i found it ... this looks very similar to what i have 5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1964 Tune-Up 1952-1957

Comment

That may be a newer model than you think.On the old ones most of those had a spool starter in stead of the coil.

Comment

Ahh wth got it all put together and the exhaust hole I feel the exhaust blowing at my hand but isnt any water shooting out ... I put a new impeller in kwy and all ...it spits in neutral right? I put in drive and didnt spit either ....I ran it for about 20 sec each time started it about 3 timea

Comment

Don't trust muffs.Submerge the entire foot under water.Let it run a little longer.Ill bet it starts pumping.

Comment

the copper tube coming out of the impeller housing was shoved to far down im thinking.something turned one of the blades on it the oposite direction i took it out and put it in turning it counter clock wise like i read on the link above so now the blades are curved to the clockwise direction ... replaced the rope seal and the oring for shaft on bottom and its still dripping out the lower unit oil ... the rope seal was thinner but everywhere said it would look that way but the original was not its just where its soaked up oil or something i guess i can use a liquid gasket or something and put a line around it and try that putting it back together tomorrow morning and starting it up ... i am starting it in a barrel of water

Comment

when replacing a rope type oil seal, they need to be placed in a bucket with oil covering them for atleast 24 hours to let oil penetrate them and build them up a bit.
                          This type of oil seal used to be used on the Buick 215ci V8 engine for rear main Crankshaft seal.
                          if it was put in dry it would never ever seal, but a soaked one worked straight away and lasted years.

I would say soak the seal without any pressure on it overnight then put it back together.

got to be worth a try

phill

Comment

Thanks I'll try that

Comment

Working...
                            X