40hp vro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp vro

Hello people of EOF. New here. I recently bought a early 90's northwoods with a 40hp vro. This is a boat motor package I've been looking for, for a while. This unit is in great shape. The problem is its a long storage boat. It ran fine when I picked it up, but after a long tow home, it doesn't want to run. It starts up fine in fast idle, but won't idle when I put the lever down. I've already checked out the carbs and found a loose drain plug on the top carb. I tighten it up and thought that was my problem. It ran a little better, but it still had troubles. Not like it ran before I bought it. This time I pulled the carbs, top cab had some sludge, bottom carb not to bad. Cleaned them up. The thing is, when I pulled the carbs I found a hose that comes off the bottom right hand side of the block that goes nowhere. I'm asuming its for a fuel pump on the non vro models. It looks to have been attached somewhere. The end is tore up and I found a loose tie wrap at the block side of the hose. I've looked all over and cant find where it would go. I'm at a loss with this one. Thanks for any help.

Check the fuel pump.Some of those go strait up into the pump.

Comment

open connection-40hp

That hose connection into the cranklcase drives either the fuel pump or the VRO unit that's gone. If you're fuel pump is already connected to the crankcase via another hose, then block this one off. Open fittings to a crankcase will destroy the fuel mixture making for a poor running and continuously stalling engine.
      Food for thought,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

The vro unit has what looks to be a hose that goes into the block already. I put a plug on the end and zip tied it. it ran what seemed to be fine for the few minutes I had it running. hopefully I can get it out today, if we get to see a little sun shine.

Comment

Working...
        X