prop shaft seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop shaft seal

I am checking my LU oil this weekend b/c it smells a little off around the prop shaft. I may replace the seals as a precaution. I am a little confused looking at the schematic - are the seal sold individually, or as a set? Put another way, do I need to order 1 or 2 of them to do the job on a lower unit?

It says "Required 1" in the order form:

36 0334950
    **SEAL, Propshaft
    (Contents of GEARCASE SEAL KIT.)
    $15.96 $11.17 1

Here is the image of the part which shows 2 seals.

When you purchase a "gear case seal kit", they come as a pair. One is considered the upper, the other... the lower. You can purchase both or just one (typically the upper if replacing only one.) They have different part # I think? If I remember right, that bearing carrier has a seal as well (#31) that you may want to replace while your in there. The carrier is NOT pressed in, (it is held by #'s 37, 38,39)but sometimes becomes hard to remove over time. Make sure you oil that new o-ring before attempting to reinstall it. If the gear case and the o-ring are dry, it will make you think the carrier has to be pressed. And be careful not to knock around the pinion nut too much while your messing a round that area...

Comment

I'm not planning on opening it all up at this point - just replacing the two outer seals (#36). That's why I am trying to confirm if I order 1 or 2 of that part #, as I am not getting the complete kit.

Comment

Working...
      X