1966 18602C 18hp strange noise..help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 18602C 18hp strange noise..help!

Hello all, so I bought my first boat recently, an old 14ft sears flat bottom that came with the '66 18hp Evinrude. After some research I've come to believe this motor is probably a little overkill for the boat, and I was maybe a little naive when buying, but it's what I have to work with for now. Luckily I know two-stroke motors well enough and this one runs great and starts first pull most times, however my knowledge stops at the powerhead...The issue I'm having is in forward gear. When I shift into forward it starts to whine and gets louder and louder with more RPMs, to the point that I can hardly even hear the motor past half throttle. The prop is in OK shape..not new by any means and a little dinged but no big chunks missing. I replaced the lower unit gear oil(old oil was a little milky, but couldn't see any major amount of metal shavings.) I toyed around with it on the water for a while and the noise never changed, although sometimes I could hit the throttle and the boat would jump right up on a plane and go, others times it felt almost like the prop was cavitating and the motor would rev up but didn't pick up any speed. The noise still kept up, and got really annoying, I can't say for sure but it sounded like the noise was coming from somewhere in the upper part of the drivetrain, not something in the water, but it was hard to tell. I have tools and can do most repairs myself, I just dont know what could be causing it, help!

Anybody???

Comment

Working...
    X