1985 evinrude fuel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 evinrude fuel issue

I have a 70 outboard that has just started to die when the motor is trimmed up just a little. Even taking off it will die if the motor is not completly down. The fuel is ok, and I carn't see any leaks. I have taken off the vrm so I mix my own fuel.
    Any Ideas
    Cheers
    Steve

Maybe the fuel line is being crimped when you raise the motor.

Comment

I hear what you are saying, however I'm only trimming the motor 5/ 10 degrees or so.Thats all it takes for the motor to start coughing and losing power ?
      It is only when the motor is trimmed right down that it runs well .

Comment

What about the float and needle in the carb.Maybe the float sticking.I know that 85 doesn't have one ,but those old cork floats would get water logged and do that.
        Last edited by Elton Smith; 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Motor revs dropping

Hi again ,
          Well I had my problem completly in reverse. the motor dies when it is trimmed right in ,and runs well when it is trimmed out. I'm guessing the carbs need cleaned. the fuel filter is fine and nothing is getting pinched when I trim the motor in.
          Do you think the carbs need cleaned, if so is this something I can do myself ?.
          I have replaced the bushes in the starter motor and replaced the thermostat (Just to give you an idea of my skill level ).

Cheers
          Steve

Comment

Yes its very easy.Just pay attention to how it comes apart.Get a can of carb spray with a straw and clean all the small orfaces.While your in there look for anything that could cause the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X