Timing Wheel Removal/Installation in order to Change Optical Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Wheel Removal/Installation in order to Change Optical Sensor

Subject: Question Concerning removal and installation of the timing wheel (so I can change the optical sensor)

My question is with respect to a 1995 Evinrude 175 outboard (E175EXEOM) and installing the optical sensor (part #0586343 which supersedes part number 05844914). The part is part number 24 in the diagram at the following link:

1995 E175EXEOM Evinrude / Johnson Evinrude THROTTLE LINKAGE Diagram and Parts

I recently bought, from boats.net, a new powerpack, plug wires, coils, spark plugs, and optical sensor . I have installed everything except the new sensor due some uncertainty I have in the installation procedure.

I do have the shop manual for this engine (I will reference the pages form the manual in case anyone has a copy and wants to use the info for reference). However, I am a bit uncertain if this process should be fairly straightforward or requires re-timing the engine.

On pages 3-7 to 3-9 of the service manual (1995 Service Manual for 90, 115, 150, 150C, 175 60 Degree LV) it discusses Flywheel Servicing which includes not only removing the timing wheel but removing the flywheel as well. The section outlines needing to use a Piston Stop Tool (step 4 page 307) and also references, in step 9 page 3-9, the need to install the timing pointer and adjust as described in the Synchronization and Linkage Adjustments Section (page 1-31). In this section on page 1-31, it discusses using the piston stop tool in a process to properly set the timing pointer. Furthermore, it then requires (on pages 1-33 and 1-34) an OMC Ignition Analyzer to set the Idle Timing and Maximum Spark Advance. The manual does not discuss what is required to just remove and replace the timing wheel (which is all that needs to be done to access and change the optical sensor).

QUESTION 1) One of my questions is: Am I disturbing the engine timing at all if all I do is remove and replace the timing wheel? Or do I really need to re-set the Idle and Maximum Spark Advance once I remove the timing wheel?

It appears from investigating some other online information that the timing wheel has some built in keyways that only allow it to go on the crankshaft one way. So I wonder if I can just put the engine in gear, put a piece of wood between the prop and engine, remove the timing wheel bolt remove the timing wheel, replace the optical sensor (as outlined on service manual page 3-10), replace the timing wheel, clean the timing wheel bolt and apply OMC Locquic Primer, and install the timing wheel bolt to a torque of 120-140 in lbs.

QUESTION 2) Or do I need to have the piston stop tool and OMC Ignition Analyzer to conduct the Synchronization and Linkage Adjustment of the Timing Pointer( as outline on page 1-31), setting the Idle Timing (on page 1-33), and setting the Max Spark Advance (page 1-34)?

QUESTION 3) What would be a replacement to use instead of the OMC Locquic Primer referenced in the service manual (I am not sure how to find that product)?

In summary, I do not currently have the piston stop tool or the OMC Ignition Analyzer. So I am wondering whether I can remove the timing wheel and change the optical sensor without these tools. If not, I may just run the old sensor with my new powerpack until I can get the boat to an OMC mechanic.

Thanks in advance for the ***istance.
    Last edited by BeachLife; 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM.
Working...
X