1979 85hp cranks with spark plugs out only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 85hp cranks with spark plugs out only

i thought this was an electrical problem so I ran new wires, then thought the starter was bad, so i replaced it, but it still wont crank over unless the plugs are out. as soon as i put one plug back in, it wont crank. it tries to, but wont do anything. I do not know much about 2 strokes so I guess my question is could this me a mechanical issue? or am i missing something?

The only thing I can think of is low voltage to the starter.Check the solenoid.

Comment

try using a volt meter. put the black lead on the battery post and the red lead on the engine block and crank the engine the meter should read around .02 vdc if you have more then .5 vdc you need to look for problums. this is voltage used up before it gets to the engine. do the same to the pos. side attach a lead to the pos. battery POST and the other to the starter solonoid pos. side post again same reading. all connections must be tight. i have seen studs on the engine corroted bad enough they don't have good clean connections. next go from one solonoid post to the other when cranking should have the same results. then go to starter pos. post and to ground should have more then 9 vdc.
      you can also check each connection by going from post to termanel and termanel to wire. also you could have other problums check spark plugs they should look close to the same. do compression check not more then 15 psi between cylinders. also check gear case for metel chips not fine power but chips. good luck

Comment

I have exactly the same problem and have installed a new solenoid and Starter still the same result. Did you ever figure it out to what causes it?

Comment

Working...
        X