new member in need of advise and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member in need of advise and help

hello my name is mike i live in buffalo ny!!!!

i come seeking advised and opinions......
    i recently purchased a 1993 evinrude 60hp motor 2 stroke.....
    the 1st 2 times i took it out it ran like a dream!
    and the last 2 times the boat died off at full thorottle!!! both time after about 1 minute of driving!! the boat fires up instantly at the dock and idles like a champ!!! but after 1min under load it boggs down and stalls and i CAN NOT get it started again!!!! it will start after about 1hr of sitting!!

please help me it has been in the shop 2x and noone can figure it out..the mechanic says it runs like a dream in the tank and he cant make it stall...im at a dead end and need help

here is alittle history of the motor from what i know!

it sat for 2 years before i got it, i change lower unit oil spark plugs and impeller, and new gas was put in!!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!

Sounds like the thermostat not opening and the heat sensor shutting it down. be sure the water stream is ok out the back of the engine.Be sure the overboard indicator is working.(that will tell you if the thermostat is open)
    Last edited by Elton Smith; 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Another possibility may be vapor lock. Do you have onboard fuel tanks? checked fuel restrictions. Will it run longer at a lower RPM?

Comment

water coming out the tell tale does NOT tell you the thermostat is opening at all, it just tells you that there is water pressure upto the exhaust cover !!!!!
        under the engine cowl at the rear there is two exhaust relif holes.
        after a couple of minutes running you can put your hand close to these and should feel a fine spray of water mixed with the exhaust.
        if water is pouring out of these all the time the thermostat is fully open all the time and needs replacing.
        if no water at all then again replace thermostat.
        when running fast there should be a fair amount of water coming out of the holes.
        Just because the impeller was replaced don't mean it is good, might be worth a second look if no water from exhaust relief holes .

Also the heat sensor could be sending engine into slow mode if this is a later type 56cu in engine.
        is the power pack a pretty much black box about 4x3.5 inches.

post a pic of the right side of engine and we can see what type of power pack you have.
        if yours looks like the one ive poisted next to bottom coil it will have s.l.o.w mode and engine is over heating or bad heat switch sensor.

phill
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X