Shocking Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking Experience

In the spring we had big rains, then the motor would not start. After a shot of starting fluid it was running rough, and putting on the cowl I got what felt like spark shocks while locking on the cowl.
    Got back up and installed new plug wires, plugs, cleaned and checked all connections I could

The boat started ok but experienced an intermittent 25% or so power loss wot.

The boat ran out of gas, and wife left ignition on and in drive as I was busy tilting the gas can to get as close to home as possible. Next morning no start so starting fluid, got going and got zapped again locking down cowling.
    A few intermittant power losses and all was good until trying to get a newbie up on skies. Limped in at 25%power. Cleaned sediment out of filter and started up and ran fine, but still have an intermittent power loss. It may go for days no problem.

Did not get a chance to run the motor at night to look for any stray sparks.

What components should I look at checking or replacing.

1986 90hp evinrude vro (vro disconnected)

All the ignition componets are under the flywheel except the coils.The shocking out of the water is fairly normal motor grounded to boat,ie ground strap may be missing.Next time it does it feel of the coils to see if they are overly hot.Sounds like something is breaking down when it gets hot.Leaving the switch on has no effect,it only grounds the coils.Also could need carbs tuned up,they will do the same thing.Sounds like carbs to me.
    Last edited by Elton Smith; 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

The shocks occurred while the motor was in the water. Not sure to look at power pack or coils. Sure carbs could be a problem, but I would not put them as a prime suspect for shocks when locking down the cowl with the engine running while still in water.
      Last edited by waterbum; 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

The shocks are just a grounding problem.Mine does the same thing.At least you know its firing.Put it in a barrel and take your shoes off and you will see what I mean.Could be coil pack going out.
        Last edited by Elton Smith; 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I thought I would go up in spring armed with a new power pack and 2 ignition coils ( think they are called) Do one side and check by operation for performance a problem rather than shock test, if bad switcheroo to the other side. Any Idea what are common grounding issues? Cleaned powerpack connection, but it seems to go into the engine in a rubberized plug kind of thing. I hate shocks since shop cl*** initiation was to throw a charged capacitor to someone and say catch, though I have had a few jolts since then, aargh!
          Last edited by waterbum; 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Been there done that with the cap.Its the same with a car ie from motor to ch***ie.The clamps from the motor to the boat may not be grounding.I am ***uming its an aluminum boat.If not it will be a strap to motor housing.There are seveal grounging straps on a boat motor.Go somewhere you can look at a similar motor and look for grounds.The first should be where the fuel line hooks up.There should be a wire from the connection to the motor.The coil packs should be grounded and so on.I like getting shocked ,It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. lol just kidding.
            Last edited by Elton Smith; 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

It is a fibergl*** boat, but the motor came off a fibergl*** boat. I really wanted an aluminum boat, had a pretty black and silver metalflake galaxy boat but the transom went bad. Looking for boats I found a lund on craigslist, went to look at it it was fibergl***, and pea green on top of it. Not interested said I. Wait he says you have a trailer? As soon as I get rid of my boat says I. Love open bow but the guy said I bought the boat for the motor, I need the trailer but I will deliver it for free as I am heading to canada. Called wifey, pea green boat, fibergl***, no open bow but decided to go free for a 4 week a year boat. So I hoisted the motor off the old boat with a come along on a tree branch, took the old boat to the dump, towed the bowat with the 50's crestliner with a 7 horse, pulled it onto the trailer backed it up to the tree with a 90hp evinrude hanging from it and installed the motor and controls. It does not look so bad now I guess.
              Actually a nicely engineered boat, 78 I think.

Long story thanks for your input. The ground from the coil pack is like rubberized into the engine, thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
              X