1992 60hp won't run @ idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 60hp won't run @ idle

my 1992 60hp with the 93 electronics was running like a top. i made a troll down and ran up river at high speed when i backed off the throttle the motor died. If i advanced the throttle it would start and run just fine when i put it back in neutral it would die. while anchored i changed the plugs no help. i then after an hour of scratching my head I advanced the timing with a couple of zipties on the manual advance shaft. and the motor ran fine it would idle just fine and run at high speed?????
    Does anyone have any idea on what broke??

( When I put it back in neutral) It shouldn't start at all in gear if the safty switch is working.That may be your problem.

Comment

the Idle timing stop screw just fell out. it is fixed now...
      i know it won't start in gear.... with the throttle advanced in neutral

Comment

so have you reset the idle timing correctly now ?
        it should be around 4 degr ATDC at idle

phill

Comment

93 3cly is 17 degr btdc it is marked on the intake

Comment

the adjustment screw did not move the screw that holds the small plastic piece that the adjustment goes through has another screw that is vertical and the vertical one came out

Comment

the 17 degree is for max advance at full throttle.
              im talking about the idle timing being 4 degree ATDC.

you need the engine in gear in water to get this perfected.

but start at around 5 degree ATDC and that should give you an idle.
              the roller should NOT be touching the throttle cam, there will be a slight gap.
              then once running use the idle screw to take up the revs to give around 900 on muffs as there will be no back pressure like when its in the water.

post a pic of the side of engine showing your throttle set up at the moment.
              mine was way off until I got it right.
              now idles fine.

phill

Comment

Working...
              X