48SPL Lower Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48SPL Lower Unit

I am trying to replace the seals in my 1989 48SPL lower unit. I can't seem to pull the bearing carrier. I have tapped the puller holes out to 3/8 (retainers are removed) to apply more force but it won't budge. There appears to be a heavy ring that needs to come off first but it won't budge either. It doesn't look like it is threaded or anything. This ring doesn't show on the parts diagram. Any clues as to how I should proceed?

yes there is a ring infront of it and yes it is normally threaded.
    you have to get that ring off first as that is what holds it all in place.

strange the diagram don't show this ring, ive also just looked and cant find it, ill see if I can spot it elsewhere and post back

phill

Comment

try this link to give you an idea of how it comes out the easy way.

I cannot find anything about a threaded ring, so maybe these don't have them !!!!!!!!!
      to be honest ive only ever taken the gears out of mercs, and they do have threaded rings to hold everything in place.

but this vid shows how to get it out.and rebuilding it..

PART 1 HOW TO REMOVE A STUBBORN BEARING CARRIER 1975-2006 JOHNSON / EVINRUDE OUTBOARD MOTORS - YouTube

part 2
      PART 2 1975-2006 JOHNSON / EVINRUDE OUTBOARD GEARCASE ISSUES AND CAUSE OF FAILURE - YouTube

part 3..
      PART 3 1975-2006 60HP JOHNSON / EVINRUDE / OMC / LOWER UNIT INSTALL, ADJUSTMENT AND TESTING - YouTube

phill

Comment

Thanks for the reply Phill. I had actually watched those vids and got the idea to drill out the 1/4" holes and tap them to 3/8" for more pulling power. I also had to heat the area around the bearing carrier with a propane torch and it finally started popping (just like in the video) and came on out. Turns out the ring I thought I saw was just part of the cast aluminum ***embly - not a separate piece. Hopefully it will go back together easier than it came apart. BTW - I also broke the rear most bolt that holds the lower unit to the exhaust housing. I'm sure that will be fun to drill out

Randy

Comment

Working...
        X