loosing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loosing power

My 1980 Evinrude 4.5 hp model E5RLCS is loosing power. I can get to full speed for about 100 yards then it starts loosing power. I can down throttle and stop it from stalling and it will do the same thing again. The carburetor has just been rebuilt and I can see no fuel leaks.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

it sounds like float trouble.
    check to make sure its not sticking, and the right way up ?
    while checking have a look to make sure there is fuel getting to it easy enough.
    clean carbs are fine as long as no blockages from fuel lines.
    if you have been using ethanol in the fuel its going to have rotted the fuel lines internaly and can keep blocking the fuel p***ages or fuel lines.

most of todays fuel contains the dreaded ethanol and is a terrible thing for the older fuel pipes.
    also check the correct float level !!!!

phill

Comment

float

Thanks Phill !
      I will try replacing fuel lines. I am not sure where the "float" is located. Could you elaborate a little about it?
      Thanks Tony

Comment

the float is in the carburettor bowl !!!!!
        its the largest thing in there and will be black plastic.

if you not sure what a carb looks like inside then I suggest you take it apart nice and carefully.
        its very very easy once you do get to take it apart.

there will be roughly 4 screws underthe main carb that hold the bottom on, this is the carb bowl.
        it sort of act like a small fuel tank in the carburettor and has a float that is attached to a linkage that acts like a valve in a toilet tank.

the float goes down and petrol comes in,when the full has reached the top of the bowl the fuel is shut off to stop it flooding and just running out the carb.
        Now where the float attaches to is a small little device with a point on it that goes into a bras fitting that has a tapered bottom to it.9had to spell it like that or it would not accept it ?)
        this is the place that often gets blocked up and causes the problems.

anyway getting back to the float.

Now with the carb upside down the float should be closing off the fuel supply, that's easy to tell by not being able to blow through the fuel inlet.
        when the carb is right way up you should be able to blow through it really easy proving no restrictions.

Now looking at the float, you need to know its been put it the correct way up.
        here is a link to the complete carb stripped down.
        Evinrude Carburetor-4.5 Parts for 1980 4.5hp E5RLCSS Outboard Motor

look at number 12, the centre pin Is what gets raised and lowered by the float to allow the juice to get in.

its not hard as you might think to strip and clean the carb and adjust the flaot if its got bent up.
        the float should only stop the fuel flow when its in a level position compared to carb body !!!!!
        so as long as its level your going to befine.

hope this helps a bit.
        if not just ask and ill do my best to run through it completely with you.

phill

Comment

The carb has been professionally rebuilt and a new float was put in. Any other ideas?

Comment

professionally built !!!!!!!!!!
            get them to do it again then because the trouble is in that carburettor 100%.

seen lots of pro's set up carbs and do great jobs.
            seen a lot of pro's also put floats in upside down and not do such a wonderfull job..

If the engine was running fine when it went in and now is giving this 100 yard problem,its float is sticking or upside down, or dirt in the float valve ***embly.

you can go on google and see thousands of people have taken their engines in for just regular check up to the pro's and had trouble when they go to start their engine.
            Just because you took it to a pro don't mean he didn't let a Saturday boy do the work on your engine !!!!!
            also who say;s he didn't get distracted when putting your carb back together !!!

your problem is 100% fuel related, and its in that carb area for sure.

UNLESS you have not opened the tank air vent (but ofcourse you done that)
            or dirt in the fuel pipe leading to carburettor.
            or fuel tap not fully turned on ( but you done that as well )

pull the fuel pipe off the carb with fuel tap closed, then turn it on and see if fuel is coming out nice and quick. if it is then its 100% carb trouble.

phill

Comment

Time to do a compression test and a leak down test, had a similar problem on a 7hp Johnson, took it to my boat guy, new head gasket and life is good!

Comment

Checked the fuel lines and they were all cracked and deteriorating. Put new ones in and all is well.
                Thanks to all!

Comment

good to find and fix it yourself.

the so called pro mechanic didn't even think to check fuel lines !!!!!!!!
                  *** he is real good isn't he ?

But glad you have it fixed now

phill

Comment

Working...
                  X