Having problems with a 1991 48spl evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems with a 1991 48spl evinrude

Hello I am new to this so sorry for the bad explaining, I have a 1991 48spl evinrude I have already changed so many parts on this outboard. When I take it to the water I put the choke on and the motor turns on fast I take it for a spin and every thing is good for about 10min to 15min and then the rpm go down and the motor starts shaking bad, so I turn it off for 10min to 20min and then turn it back on without no problems and runs fine again but does the same ting over and over again. The last time I went fishing the rpm's stop working don't know why? I have already changed this parts.
    1. Stator ***y.
    2. Coil ***y.Dual
    3. Coil & lamination ***y.
    4. Power pack is 6 months old

When I changed the coil & lamination the old one was all melted and bad but put the new one an keeps doing the same thing maybe because of the melted coil the power pack went bad ?
    Could it be the Rectifier & lead ?

Can some one Please help I have no idea what can be the problem any ideas would be gladly appreciated.

If the coil is getting that hot then you have a serious over heating problem. Now just because you have a good jet of water from tell don't mean much, that just means there is water from the pump to the tell tale, that's presuming the tell tale is good !!!!!!
    Now if you have a bad thermostat this could be the problem or if the water ways in the block are clogged with salt or limescale this could be the problem.
    15 to 20 minutes then shutting down sounds like engine over heating and a hot sieze is stopping it.
    when you run this engine for the 15 minutes can you still hold your hand on the head for at least 5 seconds without it burning ? if not then the engine is far too hot.
    Have you ever given the engine a good rinse in a salt away type cleaning solution ? is it always flushed with fresh clean water after use ? do you use it in salt water ? it probably needs descaling in a solution to clean out the water ways if its too hot, or at least a new thermostat !!!!!!!

phill

Comment

Having problems with a 1991 48spl evinrude

Thanks Phill for the help, Its only used in salt water but every time I get home from fishing I rinse it with fresh water for about 15min and the thermostat is new, I can also put my hand on the head for 15sec or more so I think that's fine ?

I haven't done a salt away type cleaning solution can I get that in academy that's the closes store for me

Comment

ok I understand that the head is staying cool, what about the rest of the engine like the block where the coils attach too ?

the cylinder head could be getting enough water ,but maybe the water jacket of the block is getting too hot at a particular spot.

seems very strange for the coil to be getting so hot.

phill

Comment

yea I know don't know what else to do or change I don't know if to put a new power pack ?

Comment

Working...
          X