X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 40 hp no water pumping to engine

Hello all,
    Recently bought my 1st boat. 14 ft Starcraft has a 92 e40elenm
    When I bought it seller had muffs set up on it and seemed to pump water good out top hose that comes out top cowl. I got it home and checked it in a tub and had no water coming out tube. I replaced t stat, water pump kit retried in tub. Found water spray out lower unit hole as should be. But nothing out top hose I removed t stat and no water out housing. Is it true engine needs to be Ina lot of water to pump to engine? I had water just above water intake on lower unit. Should I put the boat In a lake and try it? Eng. seems to run great.
    Thank you for any info.

As long as the intake is under water it should pump.Take the plastic cover off the telltail and look at that.I had one that got so hot it melted the inside of that. Also look for dobber nest in water holes.You also need to do a compression check to see what you got.It takes a few min. for the stat to open. Water should then come out the hose.
    Last edited by Elton Smith; 10-04-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks Elton for the reply. The hose is clear I can blow through It fine I pulled lower unit back off tonight and rechecked water pump plate and reseller it and resealed housing it almost looked like o ring not sealed correct. Before I put lower unit back on I poured water in telltale hose and it comes out bottom good so I see no clogs. I have checked compression but I need to get new gauge because mine for some reason is topping out at 60psi. I checked it on another brand new engine it also topped out at 60 psi. On the evinrude the 2 cylinders were only about 3 psi different and it starts and runs great so I don't think there is a compression issue. Thanks again

Comment

you need to have water about 2 inches above the cavitation n plate when running in a water butt.
        the water pump has to be submerged in order for it to start pumpinbg.
        once the water is flowing then the engine can run in less water, but it needs to self primp in a butt.
        with muffs the hose is priming it straight away.
        so you would not get any water from the pump to engine unless very lucky.
        try it with water about 2 inches above the cav plate and see what happens.
        imagine the bottom of the boat , the water level would even higher than the bottom when starting it up !!!!!!

compression wise you just need it to be over 100psi to be good, 125 is ideal.

phill

Comment

THANKS GUYS,
          the day after I resealed water pump housing I put motor in a large garbage drum, fired it up and it was pumping right away, i checked head temp with my hand it started to get warm then t stat opened and i could keep my hand on head with no problem. i checked compression with new guage and have 130psi on both cylinders, took it to the lake and put it in the water and didn't want to stay running when i put it in gear, i think it is just idling to low im going to adjust idle and see how it goes, beside that it seems to go pretty good. thanks again for the info..

Comment

Working...
          X