225hp evinrude thats been sitting for over 4yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225hp evinrude thats been sitting for over 4yrs

Hi, I just purchased a 23 ft bayliner with a 2 stroke 225hp mid nineties evinrude outboard. It has been sitting for over four years. I live in southeast alaska, where the engine has been sitting out in the elements fhe whole time. It was said that there was possibly dirty fuel last ran through it and is missing a magnet from the flywheel. I have the replacement magnet, but it has not been installed. It does turn over tthough...

Basically I would like to find out what fluids (if not all fluids) I should replace...what I should double check and clean? And if this is something a not so experienced boater can do himself...or if it would be best to get a pro? Although, there is no liscenced evinrude mechanic in my town (as I live on and island and would have to pay shipping costs just to get it to one).

Other than possible wire shortages...the boat is overall in great condition. I just wanna start fishing it!

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Volcom7d5

Change gearcase oil, remove old gas, probably will have to remove and clean carbs and inspect fuel hoses.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

225 hp rude

I have a pair of 2000 rudes 225hp Ficht, mine are very temperamental engines but so far small issues and I've been able to do myself.
      Mid 90's, good stuff,,, so I've heard. along with gear case oil, replace the old fuel and clean carbs, I would also replace all spark plugs (should be done every season) replace the engine fuel filter and look n see if you also have a fuel/water separator filter, replace it as well. thermostats are not expensive and easy to change, look for any grease fittings at steering and tilt/trim areas use the Evinrude Triple Guard grease, when you start the engine with the flushing muffs, check your water pressure if it looks weak, replace your water pump impeller. Last but not least, go to EvinrudeUSA.com on top of the page, look for "parts and accessories" select "parts" it will drop a box to select your year > horse power > model number, have fun there, you can see your motor by sections to order parts, have an idea where the stuff is and to get your part numbers. Check before buying it but the gear case oil I use it's Evinrude HPF-XR Gearcase Lubricant Part#778749.
      This site on the left boats.net also very good, it has OEM diagrams to order parts and reference.
      Fish on,,,
      Nelson

Comment

Working...
      X