83-50 hp, loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83-50 hp, loss of power

problem- engine will not accelerate when pushing throttle down ,if i slowly increase throttle as it is bogged down it will all of a sudden take off and run normally till I decelerate to slow down and then it is back to no power.This has been going on for a while, have changed fuel pump, rebuilt carbs(ran great on 1 trip after rebuild) , changed stator and power pack.Of course checked fuel tank and line.
    One question I have, what does the primer solenoid do that connects to carbs and could that be the problem?
    Its like its not getting fuel at start or to much fuel or choking.
    My only other thought is one of the coils.
    Seems more like a fuel thing since it runs great at high rpm.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Dahubb

Try bumping choke to see if picks up rpm's(if helps remove and clean carb), try pumping primer bulb on fuel hose to see if helps(if does may have fuel restriction) check to see if loosing fire on any cylinder with a timing light.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

83 50 hp,loss of power

thanks for reply. Went and reevaluated boat motor today.checked for bad wiring ,connections, fuel line from tank, spark plugs.
      Ran motor,still seemed to be running rough. checked plugs, upper plug seemed to be wetter.Thought I would pull plug wire while running, (taked to boat mechanic where I store my boat and he said that is not good to do.Is this true?)Any way when I pulled the upper plug off while motor was running nothing changed.Put plug back on and pulled bottom plug and engine died.I then checked spark on upper grounding plug to block, saw spark, do not know how strong. I was told it is ok to swap plug wires from coils to see if it is the upper coil, did this and engine would not start, one little back fire.
      Answer to questions ,I did choke while idling and rpm dropped.Nothing happens when I prime gas line bulb.
      I'm thinking there is an issue with upper coil,but why would engine not start at all when switching coils? ordered manual.
      thanks for input.
      Dahubb

Comment

83, 50 hp loss of power.

Update,While working on boat yesterday I realized I found that throttle linkage to upper carb was not seated on plastic keeper. i snapped back in.I had taken the carburetor off before last trip.This could cause my problem. will test again under load next weekend.

Comment

loss of power

On further investigation I summarized that upper cylinder was getting spark but not firing,(pulled plug while running no change in engine) plug looked pretty wet, cylinder was not getting gas or was flooding.Decided to look at carb again, when I took bottom off to check play on float bowl I finally noticed round gasket had split, allowing gas into throat, flooding cylinder.Replaced gasket, engine sounds better. will try under load soon.
          Dahubb

Comment

loss of power

Hello again. Found carburetor 2 (bottom carb) also had split gasket.replaced them on both carbs
            Tested again at lake. Same problem. If I cruise at low speed(no power) it usually kicks in and takes off like a jack rabbit. The only thing I have not tried is the coils.
            Is there a way to test coil on land hooked to hose running motor?
            Help
            thanks.
            Cary

Comment

Working...
            X