Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water on spark plugs

Hello,
    I am new to this forum n boating in general..
    I have a 1977 Evinrude 75 model #75743s ,it has gone under water once..
    The problem i am having is it starts fine , n will accelerate to wot, for a min or 2 then will sputter n miss n die right down, if i back off throttle sometimes i can keep running , n continue on but not wot.. .. After that it does not like to idle down low it seems it is firing on 1-2 cylinders.. I watched many vids on you tube, n have taken carbs off with mechanic friend, n they were nice n clean..
    Upon checking compression, we found top cyl-150 psi middle cyl-140 psi n bottom cyl 150 psi.. when we removed spark plugs they were nice carmel brown but had lil beads of moisture on them, y mechanic friend, seems to be sure it is head gasket.. I have read many articles on this forum n have also seen bout possible exhaust port gasket failure..n warp... Any advice n guidance would be greatly appreciated... Thank u all for your time...
    Rocky..

Check for water in fuel, remove head and check head gasket and or exaust plate gaskets.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Check the thermostat my dad had the same problem with his 20 hp evinrude my dads didn't have a head gasket or a thermostat and it made the plugs look milky

Comment

I have replaced the head gasket, n only ordered 1 of the needed 3 exhaust port gaskets, got to order the other 2 n try that.. Have not had it on water since replacing head gasket.. Checker for water in fuel none was found..

Comment

Working...
        X