Evinrude 175 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude 175 no spark

Hello I am hoping that someone from this forum will be able to help me. I have posted on other forums looking for help with my problem but have not been able to solve the problem. So here goes.

I have a 89 Evinrude 175 XP. The problem that I am having is that my engine is very difficult to start when it is first put into the water. I have to turn the engine over for a long time or I try for a few minutes, stop and wait for about 10-15 minutes and than it will start. The boat runs very good once it has been started and will start every time there after. It is always the initial start up that causes me problems.

We have had the boat on muffs in the driveway and pulled the plugs and tested for spark while turning it over and found that the top two plugs on the port side were not firing when I would try turning it over. The motor is definitely getting enough gas the plugs do have fuel on them when they are pulled when I am cannot get it to start. I have taken the boat to three separate mechanics and they have all fixed what they said was the problem.
    1) Replaced powerpack
    2) Rebuilt the carbs
    3) well he didn't replace anything he just went through it and told me that it was fixed.

As I have said earlier this is only when I try to start the motor when I first put the boat in the water. I have noticed that at the initial startup it does seem to smoke a lot. I am ***uming this is because after trying to start it for so long it is flooded. After it has gone through the initial startup I can be on the river all day long and it will start every time with just a touch of the key. I really do not understand this problem.

I have had a lot of people telling me to replace the timer base but I am really hesitant to do this as I have already invested a lot of money on parts people have told me were wrong.

Please Help!!!!!
    Last edited by oldschool71; 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM.

old school i feel your pain. i have a '93 200xp that does the exact same thing. replaced the timer base, stator, flywheel, power pack, plugs. still won't start without a fight.
    i'm in the process now of flushing all the fuel lines, primer lines and recirculation hoses, checkvalves and checking all the fittings. if that doesn't help im stumped.
    i've been on the evinrude site and the feedback was that my starting procedure wasn't right.
    i'm also going to take the primer solenoid apart and clean it. maybe it's plugged.
    i hear this is a common problem with the older carburated evinrudes so you would think somebody would have a solution.

Comment

Working...
    X