80's Evinrude 55hp Stalls When Shidting into Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's Evinrude 55hp Stalls When Shidting into Gear

Greetings All, This is an 80's version 55hp Evinrude. It starts wonderfully. Runs well. But - when you try to shift into gear, it stalls. You CAN get it moving if you really slam it into gear full throttle. Once you do that, it runs fine. But when you slow down close to idle speed, it stalls again. So - I have two speeds - running flat out or idling. Somebody said this is indicative of a linkage issue? Anyway - any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by catboggs1; 08-29-2014, 07:24 PM.

Update

I took the boat out today. I thought things would be good as the boat went into reverse at low idle. However, it did not respond to going forward as well. After having to fast idle then drop into gear, it finally cruised nicely for my three mile trip. It stalled when I tried to go into a slow speed / no wake idle. When I restarted the motor, it did not want to go forward unless I revved it to high, then tried to drop it in gear. Once in gear and running, it felt like I was being kicked. I tried restarting so many times that my battery died and I needed a tow home.
    Any thoughts? Could I have broken a tooth off of the drive gear?

Comment

Working...
    X