'82 90hp - down on power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 90hp - down on power

Original owner, E90TLCNB. This motor has been on the same boat since new (16' aluminum Springbok sport boat). Over the years the boat has had, at most, 10-15 trips per year and I'd guess it has less than 800 hours in total, and by no means all at WOT. Not sure if this would be called 'low hours' by any stretch but I don't think it's worn out. It's always been run at 50:1 using high grade oil.

Problem is, it's down on power. When newer, it would always hit ~5700rpm and an indicated 44mph on the original OMC gauges. Now it's lucky to hit 5000rpm and 38mph. Same prop for its whole life too 17" cast aluminum.

Aside from this, the motor runs smoothly (although it's always been a pig on fuel).

I've always done the maintenance but it's been a long time since I've tackled the carbs. Compression was about 115/hole last time I checked. Plugs usually look pretty black but not terribly crusted.

What would be the best place to start? Season is pretty much over around here and I have time to tackle some things during the 'hard water' months ahead.
Working...
X