Troubleshooting a 1977 85HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting a 1977 85HP

New guy here. My first time on here and I think I may be able to get some help here. My motor ran great all summer although it always has been a little bit of a trick to start it.

This past weekend I found my new battery was dead when I tried to start the motor. I immediately put it on a charger. Several hours later the battery had taken very little charge. It would only start when I put the charger in start mode.

It still took several tries to get it going. I believe my gas is good. I changed the spark plugs. I was alone and couldn't see the spark when I turned it over with a plug out. Started first try on 3 cylinders though lol.

I want to get the boat out of the water this coming weekend so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the hard starting issue. Should I replace the battery? Is there anything latent in the engine that would kill the battery as I have no power absorbing accessories I could have left on?

Could I have a coil problem that is creating only intermittent spark? Could the carbs be dirty?

I bought this engine five years ago and it has always run well, while always being a bit tricky to start. This past weekend is the hardest starting I have had.

Thanks for any troubleshooting suggestions.

Lots of people looking but no help here.

Better results at this site:

Johnson Evinrude Outboard Forum

Comment

Working...
    X