1987 110 v4 vro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 110 v4 vro

I purchased this motor approximately two months ago. It wouldn't start very easily. It had sat for about 6 months and had old fuel with stabil in it. I got it started in the water and it would not stay running without the fast idle lever up. If you attempted to put load on it, it would die as well.

I changed the old fuel out, ran it again, it will start now, will not stay running with out the fast idle and had poor low end and mid range performance. At full throttle it seemed to work fine. This lead me to do a compression test. Here are the numbers.

#1-80 pounds, #2-85 pounds, #3-95 pounds, #4-90 pounds.

after soaking the motor, #1-85 pounds, #2-80 pounds, #3-90 pounds, #4-80 pounds.

That seemed weird that it would go lower after a soak to remove the carbon. Either way I'm going to do a carb service on this motor and see where that leaves me. I will probably soak the motor again to get any stuck rings set free.

What are some other things that I need to look at? The compression is low but not critically low, is it? Is this motor just done? Is doing the carb service/rebuild a waste of time?

When motor was cleaned out it removed particles that where built up sort of like a barrier or seal holding in better compression. Yes, these are very low numbers indeed. Time for a rebuild or at least a cylinder honing and new rings.

Comment

Working...
    X