Water problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water problems

I have a late 1970's evinrude 25hp 2 stroke. The impeller and water pump are in good shape. Water builds up in the cowling but does not shoot out of the exhaust port like it used to.

Any ideas out there?

So water is leaking inside Cowling from where? Should not leak into Cowling, need to fix what's leaking?

Comment

The water is coming from the head, there appears to be an overflow valve of sorts, the head does not over heat. I'm thinking I may have sucked mud into the head?

Comment

What do you mean? I don't know of any overflow valves? Can you take a pic of it and post it? Or, find the valve in the parts list for your motor above, and let me know where you found it.

Did you run over a large amount of mud, then shut motor off, and not flush it out? Is this what you're saying?

Need a little help understanding. Nothing should be leaking into Cowling?

Let us know shards up.

Comment

I will post a picture in the morning, I did run over some mud, I shit off the engine. I ran it again maybe 5 minutes later and the problem started immediately.

Comment

Then you are going to have to flush it all out. You may have to remove the thermostat and flush from there back to the foot. If you can't get it flushed out by running on muffs. If that won't clear it out, you may have to take more parts off to get it cleaned out.

Have you got a shop repair manual for your motor?

Post us back.

Comment

I can't see how to post a picture, but I discovered the engine is a 1972-73. The core plug at the bottom of the head came out. I removed the head and put the core plug back in. Ran it and it returned to running like before. Still leaks a little. Should I put a new core plug in?

Comment

If you can't seal it, replace it. You don't want water inside the Cowling, especially if salt water. Keep it dry and clean inside, less chance for corrosion and other problems related to moisture.

Glad you found the problem, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X