Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30hp E30rced? Won't start.... New to 2 stroke

Greetings,
    Have a 30hp I picked up from a legit shop last year. Ran perfect 3 times then while idiling away com the dock it died. Just took it out again, new plugs, took apart the carb, all was good in the carb. The plugs were filthy, but new. Replaced like I said..... Tried hooking up the muffs to get it going and nothing. Plugs again are filthy after about 50 pull starts. What am I doing wrong? Looks like way too much fuel, but then again I don't know much. Kinda hard to check spark solo while pulling, but I believe I saw spark. Any help would be great! New gas as well....

When you cleaned carb(s), did you remove and clean the low speed air mixture screw(s)?
    And if so, what did you set them at when putting them back in?
    Also, what year is this motor, I might look up parts page to see what you have?

Post back when able

Comment

It's an 89 I think. And no, I didn't remove any screws, as a buddy said it would be unwise with my skill level with these. Just basically remived the bowl and sprayed down everything a few times. This screw, is that the main idle screw? That has been messed with a lot. Currently 2.5 turns out.

Comment

On mounting clamp should say year manufactured under model and serial number? Is this motor oil injected, or do you premix your gas and oil in the tank?

Post back.

Comment

The tag is faded and you can't see much, there is a stamp on the carb though. The motor takes premixed 100:1. 2 cyl, 1 carb. I bought new decals for this POS motor and viewing the vendors website, the 89 was the matching stickers. Manual start, long shaft.

Comment

Can you post a pic of that screw and where it goes into the carb, best angle (top downward, to show what it screws into?), that might show if connected to any linkages? Or, if it screws directly into carb?

Post back.

Comment

Here's one pic
              Attached Files

Comment

That screw I'm referring to is on the right side of the photo. All ***embled that screw faces you when operating the motor

Comment

Image attached
                  Attached Files

Comment

I didn't mean take carb off, and apart. The parts pic showed a screw on top of carb I thought you were talking about.

Comment

Lol no, I took photos as I took it apart the one and only time incase I forgot how to re***emble as it was my first time doing somthing like this and I didn't know what to expect. Any ideas on what to check next?

Comment

Ok. Happy Easter. Ok post me a pic of the carb from left side front. I'd like to see the entire carb, so I can see the front and left side, as close as able.

Post when able.

Comment

I found the issue I was having.... the throttle links to what I'm guessing is a timing wheel of some sort under the flywheel. I replaced the pin linking the two arms together and she fires right up and runs like new. I guess it didn't hurt to pull the carb and get more familiar with my engine. Thanks!

Comment

Just glad you found the problem.
                            Yes, it is a timing wheel, it advances the timing as throttle moves, it does have to be working.

Great to hear you're back up and running, thnx for letting us know.
                            Happy boating... You have just completed outboard mechanics 101, your first course.lol
                            Enjoy!! Stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X