Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New impeller, still no water....?!

Hi all,
    Late 80's evinrude 30. Replaced the impeller, removed the excess pieces, ran compressed air up the water tube to check if clogged.... Had air at the indication hole and out of the little ports near the power head. Tried muffs and a barrel. Only a few drops out of the indicator port after about 30 seconds. Any ideas? I did make sure the water tube mated up with the impeller housing.... But might not have been a tight fit, this is the only thing I can think of.
    The key for the impeller was different (square now vs round previously) so I fabed one up and it was pretty tight when I ***embled everything.... Ideas?

Try running a thick/heavy piece of monofilament up the pee hole, while running just to see if trash/piece of something is blocking p***age.

Comment

And if your impeller fragmented into pieces (it was probably dry when turned over/started). Then you probably should have removed thermostat, and used compressed air backwards while lower unit was off. Pieces could be lodged in p***ages?

Good luck.

Comment

I just ran compressed air again into the indication hole and felt a good amount of air at the lower unit intake. I really don't think it's clogged. I cant find any info on a thermostat for these units.... if it even has one. I cant see anything on the motor either that resembles a thermostat. I'm wondering if I spun the hub on the impeller. It was a force fit and I didn't lube it..... I guess I'll tear off the lower unit again.

Comment

Your thermostat is part #16. I don't see a cover listed for the stat, but it appears to fit right in that opening between the #46 & that plastic clamp #?. It shows a spring #51 that looks like it fits on top of the stat. See parts page listed below. The stat cover should be A little bigger than a quarter with 2-3 screws holding it in (probably break off, if not very careful), might check lower unit first.

1989 E30RCED Evinrude CYLINDER & CRANKCASE Diagram and Parts

The impeller has to be installed by turning the drive shaft in the direction of the flywheel when it is running. It doesn't need lubrication, but it has to have water on it ANYTIME you turn the flywheel. The water is the only lube it has. If you spin the motor over for any reason, it is in a barrel (enough to cover impeller), or muffs are on.
          Also, check to make sure the impeller cup is locked in (if cup is perfectly round, it could spin if not locked in place.
          Also, anytime you reinstall the lower unit, put water proof grease on splines at top of shaft (don't need it rusting in place), it has happened to many.

Good luck, post back what you find.

Comment

Working...
          X