92 Rude - Fuel/Cold Start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Rude - Fuel/Cold Start issue

VE175GLENC motor - bought 6 months ago - before that it runs and acts like the previous owner wasn't using it much, so I ***ume it had sat a while, couple trips a year kind of guy. Up until recently it has been hard to start and even after new batteries and starter, sometimes its just a futile effort. Once warm, it was just a bump of the key on the days it ran. This weekend it flat out would not start so I went exploring. Pulled the primer solenoid and lines. Solenoid clicks and pops up but the lines were old and clogged with ethanol, primer push would only drip fuel. So I replaced lines not solenoid. I did not check the voltage at the primer but with the new lines, fuel would stream out about 4 inches, not shoot out, of the primer when engaged but an improvement. Replaced, put back together, let it sit for a couple hours since battery needed a charge. Come back, (warm afternoon in the sun), bump key, fires up on the hose, never engaged primer solenoid. Next morning take to lake for test run, drop in and it just cranks and cranks and cranks, will not fire. Drained batter trying again.

Additional info:
    New plugs and wires.
    When attempting to start after a while its just puking fuel & oil through the exhaust. I look like the exxon valdez while trying to start this thing on the lake. Bring it back home, charge battery, come back in PM (warm out), bump key, fires no primer.

So now it feels like I'm in a spot where the damn thing will start on the hose but not in the water. Any ideas before I tear the carbs off and start a rebuild? Its starting to eerk me. Thanks for any help.

Generally the lines aren't blocked by ethanol. Ethanol eats the inside of older fuel lines, the rubber turns to a powdery soot. It will block filters, needle valves, carb jets, just like the primer you took apart.

I'm guessing you still have some fuel/ carb issues? But may have firing issues too? Or, is it possible you may be flooding the cylinders? Causing the ”no start”, Exxon Valdez scene?

I think the latter. I think it's very probable you still have fuel/ carb issues.

Take pics, of all hose placements, linkage connections, anything that you might forget? It happens often for me.lol. Also record any adjustable screw settings before removal (air mixture idle screws- count turns in till lightly seated, and record for reinstall later). Also, keep ALL parts between carbs separated. Can't believe how many times I've seen multiple sizes of jets in 3 & 4 carb motors. And label carbs (top mid bot, or #'s).
    Blow compressed air through all p***ages that had fuel in them!
    One last thought, if carbs were working fine prior to all this, then don't change float adjustments. They aren't hard to set, and if careful you won't need to, but working on multiple carbs, it can be a pain in the rear to have to remove 2-3-4 carbs because of linkages, because one float is a hair off.

Good luck, sorry for all the above, most owners don't have service manuals, and many come back to the forum and ask where parts go back on their motor?

Comment

Working...
    X