1996 15 hp evinrude need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 15 hp evinrude need help

Hi everybody I'm working on a 1996 evinrude 15hp e15reds model number the motor set up probably 3 years pulled the carb off cleaned it installed new plugs and a power pack cleaned the screen on the fuel pump and add a new fuel line well I cranked it and it run horrible it's firing a nice blue spark after the power pack was changed cranked it again and it's still the same so I checked compression with plugs out and it had 90 on one cyl and 92 on the other thinking a ring maybe stuck I thought there maybe a piece of trash slipped by somehow so I cleaned the carb again now it will stay running but it surging at low speed and it bogs at wot I'm running it in a drum and you can rake the oil off of the water with your fingers the I'm mixing one bottle to 6 gals of gas so that should be rite the only time it runs good is when you pull the fuel hose off and rite before it dies it opens up fine it's almost like its getting way to much fuel but it only has one screw to adjust on ten carb. Please help I have almost scratched a raw spot on my head
    Last edited by Adamwilliams; 06-17-2015, 04:21 PM.

Sounds like carbs still have blockage in jets, pas-sages, the one mixture screw is for idle only, it should be set at service manual setting, if multiple carbs, all should be set the same setting. Before cleaning note the number of turns till lightly seated closed. When reinstalling, put back to original setting.
    All jets and pas-sages after cleaning/ soaking should be blown clear with compressed air, Before putting back together. Float adjustments are critical, and should be set by the manual for proper adjustment.

Good luck.

Comment

with the motor running, turn the idle screw clockwise 1/4 turn, the rpms will increase, keep doing 1/4 turns until the motor starts to stumble. then back off the screw 1/8 turn counter clockwise. If the motor dies when you start turning clockwise. turn the screw back to the starting pos. and start turning counter clockwise until the motor idles.

run sea foam or power tune in the gas they can free up the rings.

Comment

Ok thanks I will try that and see what happens

Comment

Still broke any other subjestions

Comment

Check the top cover on the carb (plastic piece) to see if it is cracked or broken.

Comment

Rings are fine 90/92 is fine. When you squeeze the primer bulb does gas come out of the carburetor?
              Last edited by try123; 06-24-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

No gas comes out of carb and the top plastic piece looked good no cracks

Comment

Still sounds like blockage in low speed, and high speed jets, or pas-sages. Also could be needle valve may have trash on backside of seat, or sticking? Did you remove the jets and clean them? Did you blow good air pressure through all pas-sages after soaking?

What is your idle mixture screw set at (count the # of turns till lightly seated, and let us know.

Post back when able. It does still sound like it is fuel related.
                  Last edited by Solarman; 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X