1984 90 hp johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 90 hp johnson

Got everything fixed and ran this morning. I can run about 28 mph at 5000 rpm. Is that about right for a 17'fibergl*** Yar Craft. Or should I be looking for a little bigger prop.It levels off immediately and runs fine I just thought it would go little faster

What work did you do on motor?

If motor is running fine, what are max RPMs?

Suggestions:
    If max RPMs are 5k, I might run an additive in fuel, may have a slight blockage in high speed jet, or little carbon buildup? Should run close to 5.5k RPMs, unless motor is not trimmed out properly, or running to deep in water (cavitation plate below bottom of boat), or slightly over propped?

It's hard to tell with info provides? This may be normal for your boat? And the load you carry?

You could talk with Ken, at propgods.com. They may be able to tell if prop is right for your boat.

Post back when able. Good luck.
    Last edited by Solarman; 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Just found another place that guarantees selection. Other than propgods.com
      Also, very knowledgeable.
      Check out, PowerTech.com

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry lots of things going on and haven't got back on. I can run 6000 rpm and the motor runs perfect. Carbs have been rebuilt professionally and the motor runs great. Just thought it should run a little faster. Not sure how to trim the motor either. I played with it some but not sure. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

If your motor is hitting 6k RPMs, you should upgrade the prop. Running at 6k is not good for your motor, max RPMs should be between 5200 - 5500 RPMs.

By upgrading your prop, you will get more top speed, and not lose much out the hole. It will still get up on plane well.

Contact those I listed earlier, they'll give you much knowledge. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X