Water leak issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leak issue...

I have a 1984 60HP (Model # E60TLCRE) that I just replaced the water pump on (housing, impeller, etc...). Now it is streaming water at the seam between midsection and the gearcase.

I can't tell where/how the water is supposed to exit the motor other than the spout on the power head.

So, I have three questions:

1. Where should the bulk of the water exit the motor?

2. Does anyone have a diagram/schematic of the water flow for this model of engine?

3. Should the midsection housing have pressurized water in it? (I'm sure the answer to the first question would answer this).

Thanks for the help,
    Jett
    Attached Files

When you attach the muffs, you're putting water into the cavity for the water pump to pick it up, and send water through the cooling system of the motor. If you're not getting water out of the tell-tale hole there may be a blockage, or you might not have a good grommet on water tube that goes up to motor.

You might have to remove the gear case again to check what's wrong?
    If you remove again, put hose on water tube to going up. Does water flow from tell-tale? Did you remove thermostat? Does water flow out of thermostat hole? If not where is water flowing out at, can you see with flashlight?

Post back if you do remove again. And what you find out.
    Last edited by Solarman; 06-26-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      When you attach the muffs, you're putting water into the cavity for the water pump to pick it up, and send water through the cooling system of the motor. If you're not getting water out of the tell-tale hole there may be a blockage, or you might not have a good grommet on water tube that goes up to motor.

You might have to remove the gear case again to check what's wrong?

Post back if you do remove again.

Sorry I should've mentioned that I do get good flow from the Tell-Tale hole (shooting about 7 feet from the motor).

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Another note: the water coming from the seam is warm/hot. It drains after I shut the motor/water off which tells me the cavity definitely full of water.

Comment

Ok, if water is good from tell-tale, while motor is running, are the sides of all the cylinders to hot to touch? If not too hot, water pump may be working ok. If they are too hot, maybe thermostat is not opening properly (may be sticking).

Water from cooling system normally returns with exhaust (cooling exhaust) and exiting where exhaust exits normally. Through prop and other exhaust ports.

Post back when able.

Comment

Whenever I've had the leg off my 90, I wonder whether the water tube engaged with the pump body or not and I worry until I've run it again. Oh, and there's a special place in hell for the designer who put the shift bolt under the carbs, behind 6 hoses to the primer valve.

Comment

If the motor isn't overheating and you have water coming from the tell-tale, water pump is working as it should. Where the lower unit meets the midsection is just two pieces of metal meeting. There is no problem with the return water coming out from there.

Comment

Working...
            X