70HP Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70HP Starting problems

Sometimes my motor won't start unless I hold a rag over the bottom carb, then the middle carb. I may have to do this most of the time I try starting it. Is it the fuel pump or the carbs or something else?

Once running, how does it run?
    There could be a number of reasons for having to put the rag over to start?
    Weak fuel pump is one, air getting into fuel lines before the fuel pump, is another. Restrictions in fuel flow going into carbs, dirty filters/ water separator.
    Does the choke work? It should do the same thing as the rag?

Post back and let us know a little more.

Comment

Installed a fuel pump kit but won't even try starting it now, had oil coming out by the propeller. Have to get that problem fixed first.

Comment

I can't see the choke closing on the carbs. Since I have to press the starter switch in to choke, I am ***uming it is an electronic choke system, would that be correct?

Comment

I believe you have a primer that works when you push the switch in that primes the carbs by injecting fuel, like a shot of fuel. This works with a solenoid that pushes a plunger, which pushes a diaphragm. Ths system you would not see anything moving, but if the diaphragm is damaged, it would not inject the shot of fuel needed at start up. This style primer system would probably need to have a repair kit installed, if the problem is the diaphragm? If the solenoid is the problem, then that would need to be replaced?

Another type of choke system is when you push the key in, it has a solenoid that moves all the choke linkages (one for each carb), this closes a butterfly plate in the mouth of each carb almost fully closed, causing each carb to suck more fuel in, when motor turns over to start, and less air. This style chore ***y fails because the linkages do not move freely (usually a little lube where sticking and movement at whichever carb is stuck.). And once Fred up it should work ok.Unless the solenoid is damaged and not working? This means the solenoid would need to be replaced?

These are both electronic chokes that operate when the key is pushed in. depending on the year and model of your motor, I would have to look at the parts diagram for your motor to know which you have?

Good luck, post back if need to.
          Last edited by Solarman; 09-15-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

70HP Starting problems

I have a primer solenoid that has a schrader valve on it and tubes that go to each carb. When disconnecting the tube to the carbs and pushing in on the choke switch, I cannot feel any suction. I don't hear anything from the primer solenoid either. I read a post about using pressurized fogging oil, can someone explain that to me? Any suggestions or advice?
            Last edited by EDDIE RIDGE; 10-17-2015, 11:00 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

Eddie, you need to give us a model number for your motor. I can't keep guessing on what motor you have.

If your primer system isn't working then your choke isn't working.

Fogging oil is used for storing your motor for extended periods of non-use, like during winter months. It is used to coat the internal metal components to help protect them from rusting while it is sitting up through those months. It is one of the last steps done before emptying your fuel from carbs and tank(s). See the post about winterizing your outboard motor(s).

Good luck, post back when able.

Comment

70HP Starting problems

I have an E70TLCRD. I took the primer solenoid apart and everything looks good, clean and functioning. I pumped up the gas bulb and had gas going to the solenoid. Motor starts without pressing in on the choke. After a few minutes with motor off and fuel line attached, the inline fuel filter will be empty of gas. Is this normal or should gas line remain full?
                Last edited by EDDIE RIDGE; 11-07-2015, 10:41 AM. Reason: Added details

Comment

Losing fuel pressure

Originally posted by EDDIE RIDGE View Post
                  I have an E70TLCRD. I took the primer solenoid apart and everything looks good, clean and functioning. I pumped up the gas bulb and had gas going to the solenoid. Motor starts without pressing in on the choke. After a few minutes with motor off and fuel line attached, the inline fuel filter will be empty of gas. Is this normal or should gas line remain full?
                  Runs great until fuel that is pumped up runs out, then dies. If I continue to pump bulb, motor keeps running. Feel like I am losing fuel pressure somewhere, any suggestions?

Comment

You were so much help, I can tell that you are an expert on repairing Evinrudes!
                    Last edited by EDDIE RIDGE; 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

70HP Problems

Installed new schrader valve and Primer Selinoid repair kit, still having same problem. Carbs seem to be losing prime.

Comment

Originally posted by EDDIE RIDGE View Post
                        Installed new schrader valve and Primer Selinoid repair kit, still having same problem. Carbs seem to be losing prime.
                        Explain in detail your engine starting method... exactly what you do in attempting to start the engine... and the result.

This same problem.... explain exactly what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                        X