1981 Evinrude 200 bogs down under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Evinrude 200 bogs down under load

My motor will not go over 1,500 rpm under load. It revs over 3,000 rpm in neutral, but in gear it bogs down once I try to accelerate. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines and cleaned the screen filters, but I have not rebuilt the carbs. In the past, it would bog down with throttle for a few minutes then all of sudden roar to life and go fast. Now it is stuck in bog down mode and won’t accelerate anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, sounds like it probably is the carbs. How long has it been since it was run/ used? Also, if attempting this yourself, let us know. Don't want you doing anymore than need be, and what to pay attention to before getting into it.

Also, before carb cleaning, make sure the linkage that advances spark is working properly, if not working right that could cause this problem too.

Post back when able.
    Last edited by Solarman; 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I used the boat 5 days in a row on a lagoon about 3 weeks ago. Luckily the lagoon has a speed limit of 5 mph, so I could at least motor around slow. I will check the spark advance linkage but if that was a problem wouldn't it also affect the motor when run in neutral? There is no problem when in neutral as the motor will rev over 3,000 rpm.

If I elect to rebuild the carbs, do they need to be balanced so they perform evenly? I am a pretty good car mechanic so I should be able to do this myself, although I don't have any outboard experience other than working on the lower unit so far.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

The carbs are not hard, yes if you mess with all the linkage adjustments they could need to be balanced. You can soak all the parts, but the main things to focus on are, the jets, needle valve and seat (always remove seat, and always check float setting when seat is removed- changes level when loosened and tightened), pas-sages (air and fuel), and any idle air mixture screws (record current settings, for multiple carbs, they should all be offensive settings). On all of these parts check for damages, and replace if needed.
        And some carbs have throttle position sensors, but I would tie, or block carb up so any electrics are not soaking (some may require special tools if they are adjustable). Use a good air compressor to blow all pas-sages and parts clear/ dry.

Good luck. Post back if problems.

Comment

Not carbs

The problem seems to be in the ignition. After trying the resistance tests in the FSM, looks like I may have two bad ignition coil packs (to spark plugs) and a bad sensor coil (beneath the flywheel). If the sensor coil was bad, wouldn't the engine not run at all?

Also, when trying to start the motor, the small gear on the starter keeps retracting so the flywheel wont turn. Dopes this mean a bad solenoid? It doesn't retract every time I turn the key, but it does it about 50% of the time I try to start the motor.

Also, the voltmeter on the dash always reads 12 volts when the boat is running, so it does not seem like its charging the batteries. If I have to pull the flywheel to change the sensor coil, guess the stator should be change too.

Comment

Trial by swapping out parts may be one way to fix problems, but may end up being more expensive?

If you have a manual, you should test those items to verify they are bad first. Your manual should help with each of these items.

Most starters when first engaged, spin the small gear (Bendix) up to engage the flywheel. If this is not happening, is the small gear sticking (not sliding up/down freely)? Or, it may be related to your voltage to the starter (weak battery, poor/ dirty connection, and yes, may be solenoid)?

Also, if your magneto/stator is putting out the proper AC voltage, it may be a problem with your rectifier/ regulator, not converting properly, or regulating the DC voltage you should be getting?

Good luck.
            Last edited by Solarman; 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

For the starter, the Bendix gear moves up to engage the flywheel every time I turn the key, the problem is about 1/2 the time I try to start the engine, the Bendix gear immediately drops back down from the flywheel without turning the motor over. The other 1/2 of the time the flywheel turns fine.

Comment

Working...
              X