X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 v4 crossflow wont start

Hi Guys/gals
    First i will introduce myself.
    Im a 40 year old bloke who is a motor mechanic by trade.
    I have found a new hobby which is driving me nuts but loving it at the same time.
    I have myself a 1979 Evinrude 85hp v4 crossflow.
    I have done a full Power Head rebuild, rebuilt carbs, and rebuilt fuel pump.
    Here is my issue
    1/ prime the carbs using the fuel take primer bulb
    2/ turn the key (pushed in for choke) and the engine WILL NOT START
    3/ Spray carbs with fuel and engine fires then cuts out, spray again engine fires up and cuts out (of course due to only spraying fuel in carbs)
    4/ spray fuel again into carbs, engine fires and runs/revs fine

My thoughts are
    no fuel is being injected into the carbs, for cold start
    I cant find anything in google or my manual that tell me if im missing something off my carbs (like a manual primer bulb) not fuel tank primer bulb.

Any help would be appressiated (i have pics if needed)

Darren

The tank primer bulb is the only primer bulb. If you have the choke butterfly plates you won't have an additional primer for carbs, just the choke.
    If you didn't soak carbs, and blow all the p***ages clear with compressed air, you may still have a blockage. Otherwise I might suspect the fuel pump may be bad?
    You should also be careful when spraying fuel into carbs if oil is not mixed with the spray.
    It does sound like a fuel related problem.

Good luck.

Comment

These engines can be a pain to start if everything is empty.
      I would pump the fuel bulb until very hard.
      now also make sure you have not put the fuel line on the wrong way on the fuel pump, its very easy for auto mechanic to do as it goes the opposite way to some of the older cars with similar type pumps.
      also have you made sure the pulse from crankcase is clear and not blocked ?
      also the fuel pump diaphragm in good condition.

if you disconnect the fuel pipes from the carb is fuel getting there when you pump the bulb ? if no the pipe is on wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X