thermostat on a 96 25 hp evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat on a 96 25 hp evinrude

I just bought a 1996 25 hp evinrude and as I was taught to do when you buy a used motor to replace the water pump. I put a new pump kit in it. When I first looked at the motor and cranked the motor I noticed that it took a couple of minutes for the stream to come out of the spout (pee hole) on the side of the engine. Is this normal for the thermostat to take a few minutes to open or do I need to replace the thermostat on it, or is it because it's cooler weather that's making the thermostat delay on opening up?

Any advise an this matter would be appreciated , Thanks Guys!

Comment

Whether the thermostat is open or not, water should be coming out the pee hole almost immediately if the water pump is working correctly.

Comment

Just like NautiBouy said, the pee hole should start spraying right away. Are you having this problem when running it on the muffs or in the water?
        I have better luck when motor is running submerged in water rather than the muffs..check it like that 1st, and if no change, then I'd I would try removing and cleaning out the tattle tale hose for the pee hole to insure that it is not stopped up with mud dawbers or other trash, then try it again..if still doing the same thing..then it's possible that a piece or pieces of an old impeller is blocking the inlet tube or water ports up inside the motor.

Comment

Just realized that this post is 4 months old....hope you got this problem resolved

Comment

Working...
          X