Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Evinrude xp150 starts, idles, then dies after a few seconds

Hello all, first post for me!
    I just bought a 1985 Stratos 18' b*** boat with a xp150 on it. I bought it for a good deal, knowing it needs work. The motor starts easy, runs smooth for a few seconds, and then dies. After a few seconds, it will restart easy, and quit after a few seconds. This is repeatable both with muffs in the yard, and with the boat in the lake.

I am an aviation and car motor head, and am going to do a few things to this motor anyway. New QL77JC4 plugs, check all the coils, check the power packs, stator, and rectifiers, decarb, and clean/sync carbs for sure. I am wondering, if this start and stop symptom is the motor sensing no oil pressure? Isn't there a switch that only closes (to permit motor operation) after detecting oil pressure? So, it could either be this switch, or, there IS NO OIL PRESSURE, which I would guess would indicate the VRO pump? Thinking "out loud"

The fuel bulb is hard, as is the oil bulb from the VRO tank. As a note, I am considering eliminating the oil side of the VRO and just mixing my gas. Unless someone can convince me otherwise. As another note, the top two coils have a little cracking in the potting material, and the guy I bought it from had the surface gap plugs in it which I know little about. I bought a set of the QL77JC4 plugs because that is what the engine calls for.

Have any of you seen these symptoms before? Easy start, idle smooth(ish) for a few seconds, then quit? There isn't a lot of smoke, the water pump is working, and it's very repeatable.

Thanks,

Gregg

If you have compression and spark (plugs removed) that will jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... and if the engine has sat for some time, in all probability the carburetor's need cleaning.

Make sure the small red lever on the fuel primer solenoid is pointed back to the other end of the solenoid (auto Position) so that pushing the key in causes fuel to be fed to the engine directly at the intake manifold. Any other position will flood the engine with fuel.

Comment

Working...
    X