Oil in motor tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in motor tray

I have an 1992 60hp E60TLEIB motor. I'm do not know the correct name but there is oil in the 'tray' area of the motor. I looked for leaks but cannot find any. The motor has been tilted up for several months. Any chance the oil could be coming out of the carburetors? The carburetor's have not been rebuilt for over ten years. Thanks

If by "tray", you're speaking of the pan that the hood sits upon, that is simply called the hood pan.

At the port bottom rear portion of the carburetor face plate, there is usually a fitting there whereas a hose connects between the face plate and the bottom main bearing seal area (recirculates un-burnt mixture). It's possible that the hose may not be attached.

Other than the above, yes... leaving the engine in a tilted position for a length of time will result in the mixture dripping from the carburetors. If the face plate gasket is faulty, naturally that mixture will end up in the hood pan. In time, the fuel evaporates... the oil remains.

Ten years?...... I'd suggest those carburetors be cleaned and rebuilt. One slightly lean running carburetor will result in an expensive power-head rebuild.

Comment

Thanks Joe Reeves! I removed the carburetor face plate and saw the tubing you were referring to. I cannot say if it was or was not attached. It is however attached now. Regarding the carb rebuild. I agree with you. I plan on trading the boat in so I need it to start on command. I checked the compression and all three cylinders are equally at 90psi. But I am not surprised though. Even though I use the boat almost every year, it is run time is less than 3 hours every year since I had it for the most part. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X