shifting problem on 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifting problem on 9.9

I have a 1980 9.9 evinrude manual start.loaned motor out to nephew for duck season.when i got motor back nothing was said about problem.just took motor out of shed and placed in barrel before use.will not shift into forward un less you turn prop a little then goes right in with no problem.any help would be greatly apperciated.

thankes charles

(Shifting With Engine Not Running)
    (J. Reeves)

The following should explain the proper procedure for shifting into gear when the engine IS NOT running.

Pertaining to the manual shift models, when shifting into gear with the engine NOT RUNNING, the prop must be spun so as not to possibly have the dog and gear lobes run directly into each other.

To grasp this scenario, with your left hand form a "C" with your thumb and forefinger. Now, with your right hand, form a backwards "C" with your thumb and forefinger. Your fingers will represent the dog and gear lobes.

Slide the finger and thumb of your right hand alongside the thumb and finger of your left hand so that they overlap. This is the position of the dog and gear lobes when properly in gear.

Seperate that position, then butt the tips of the finger and thumb of your right hand up against the finger and thumb tips of your left hand. This represents having the gear and dog lobes directly facing each other. Should you atempt to force the engine into gear with this condition existing, damage to the shift mechanism will surely ocurr.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

joe_omc32 | eBay

Comment

9.9 shifting problem

this happens with motor running just wont go into forward. leave in nuetral reach down turn prop a little then goes right in fine.reverse works great.

Comment

Originally posted by charles vallance View Post
        this happens with motor running just wont go into forward. leave in nuetral reach down turn prop a little then goes right in fine.reverse works great.
        I don't know how that would be possible, although I do believe that this is what you're encountering.

Turning the propeller would align the dog lobes with the gear lobes... however, the engine running would also be spinning both of the gears to align the lobes to shift properly.... in essence, the same shifting effect.

A broken drive-shaft would have the effect you speak of... BUT... in gear or not, the prop wouldn't turn under power if this were the case.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

9.9 shifting problem

tore down lower unit today and everything looked good except the little spring and the two steel balls werent there.someone had worked on it before undoubtly and didnt install them.ordered them today hope this was the problem.any advice please.

thanks charles

Comment

tore down lower unit today and everything looked good except the little spring and the two steel balls werent there.someone had worked on it before undoubtly and didnt install them.ordered them today hope this was the problem.any advice please.thanks charles
            Yes, that would do it Charles. It normally takes a special tool to a$$emble the lower unit dog with those two steel balls and spring... called a sleeve, sorry to say I don't have the part number handy. There is a makeshift way (no pun intended) to put it all together but I'm not aware of that procedure.

Hopefully you eventually figure it out. (Joe)

Comment

9.9 shifting problem

got the parts today and tried to ***emble it.now know why they were left out they are a bugger.from looking at parts diagram the steel detents ride on bottom of drive shaft and top of clutch dog.please let me know if this is right.if this is right its going to be a bad job.must be some little secret on how to do it.any help would be apperciated.
              thanks charles

Comment

got the parts today and tried to a$$emble it.now know why they were left out they are a bugger.from looking at parts diagram the steel detents ride on bottom of drive shaft and top of clutch dog.please let me know if this is right.if this is right its going to be a bad job.must be some little secret on how to do it.any help would be apperciated. thanks charles
                NO!.... Notice that on the underside of the shifter dog, there are detents. Also, there is a machined hole drilled through the propshaft.

Also, notice that on one face of the shifter dog, there are circular grooves inscribed.... those grooves MUST face forward gear.

The spring sits in that propshaft hole with one of the balls on each side of the spring which "MUST" line up with the detents of the shifter dog.

When you have the forward gear and shifter dog, etc in the gearcase and your next step is to insert the propshaft..... use a heavy grease to hold the spring and those two balls in place on the propshaft while you slip it through the shifter dog, making sure that the balls click into the detents inside the shifter dog.

A service manual would be a big help to you on this operation if you can come across one.

Comment

9.9 shifting problem

thank you that sounds a lot different than what i thought from looking at parts diagram.big mistake on my part.thanks to you and this sight i think now i might be able to fix it.knowledge is amazing.thanks again will post how things go.
                  thanks again charles

Comment

9.9 shifting problem

thanks again for the help.had time today to re***emble the lower unit.seems to shift ok now.didnt start though and i have another question.purchased new oil seals for both shafts and i now think i put them in upside down from looking back at parts diagram.will this be a problem?
                    thanks charles

Comment

Some engine's incorporate dual seals... in which case, the first seal is installed with the spring portion of the seal facing inwards. The second seal spring area would face outward.

If your engine simply has one seal at whatever area you speak of... the spring portion faces inward.

Whether installing them backwards creates a serious problem or not is unknown to me.... I've never done that.

Comment

Working...
                      X