New water pump ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New water pump ??

Just put my 4th water pump in my 1997 9.9hp 4 stroke. I stuck the motor in a tank and started the motor. The flow from the pee tube was great at 3000 rpm but as I slowed down the speed the flow dropped off until there wasn’t any at idle. I ran it at 3000 rpm for about 10 minutes and measured the temperature near the spark plugs using an IR gun and got a reading of 220 F. The book states it should be 160 +_ 15 degrees. The new impeller I put in the pump was extremely difficult it get in. I had to use a hose clamp around the arms of the impeller to get it in which I never had to do with the other pumps I installed. I read some where that some kits were using impeller that were larger than the old impeller and I was wondering if this was my problem. The impeller is apparently working at high speed so why would an over size impeller not work at slower speeds ?? What would cause the flow to stop at slower motor speeds ??
    Any suggest would be welcomed.
    Evinrude 10FRELEU
    Last edited by roehrle; 04-22-2016, 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling change

I'm responding here just to let you know that you're not being ignored. Nobody else has replied so I'm sticking my two cents worth in.

I retired (1991) before your engine ever hit the drawing board so I'm not familiar with the engine's design or circuitry... BUT... it sounds to me like someone sold you the wrong impeller or kit, whichever you purchased.

The impeller should have exactly resembled your old impeller if you purchased just the impeller... just in better condition, and any impeller must flex in order to function properly ie one side of impeller housing would have the blades folded somewhat in a compressed condition, the other side of the housing would have the blades almost straight... curved ever so slightly and touching the housing wall. The shaft drive hole in the impeller housing is off-center, is it not?

Which did you purchase... impeller or kit? How did it compare with your old impeller or kit?

Comment

Hi Joe:
      I bought the kit and it was made by Sierra Part#18-3327.The impeller was in a plastic bag with the following number "SUB-183327". I got it on Amazon back on 10/15 at the end of the season.I did a quick look on Google and did not see anything posted about this kit but i'll still keep searching
      I hope it isn't the impeller because on the motor I have it is getting harder every time I replace the pump. Especial at 86 everything becomes harder to do. I retired in 1990 so i got you on that one
      Just went on Amazon and read all the comments out this idem and they were all favorable . Not a word about impellers being too large
      Last edited by roehrle; 04-22-2016, 04:11 PM. Reason: update

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Sierra kit, however your description of it and the trouble encountered in simply installing the impeller leads me to believe that something is not as it should be.

Hopefully you have a local dealership where you can compare the Bombardier kit with what you have. I've installed a few water pumps in my day and have never had a problem spinning a impeller into its housing with my fingers.

83 years old here, just recovering from a Urostomy operation due to cancer... yeah, things get tougher as we age my friend. However, as the saying goes (I think)... I felt bad because I had no shoes until I saw that young girl that had no legs.

Comment

Hi Joe:
          I have used Sierra parts over the years and found them to be quite reliable.
          Before I put the unit back I turned the propeller by hand and it was very easy to turn. I observed the shaft turning so that means the impeller was also turning being attached the shaft. I generally run at 3000 rpm so I wouldn't have a problem. The thing that concerns me is that I am getting rather high temperature reading when it appears I am getting a good stream of water from the pee tube ?? If it is providing a good stream at 3000rpm what is happening to stop the flow at slower speeds ? Maybe a blockage that opens with a forceful flow at hi speed and closes then the flow decreases?? I am thinking about a reverse flow with the motor off , going from the pee tube to see if it opens a possible blockage ??
          Did you have any experience using an IR gun to measure temperature ??
          Several years ago I had a pump failure that came to my attention when the motor started to smoke and smell. Fortunately it didn't damage the motor.
          I wonder what harm there would be running at a 220 degree motor temperature? Any suggestions on any of these points..I don't want to put the boat in the water because of the trouble of launching a 25ft sailboat and then find I have a serious problem.

Comment

Nothing more I can add, however the trouble you had to go through ie using as hose clamp to install the impeller is enough for me to question the pump kit.

Comment

Hi Joe:
              The old impeller was 4 years old and still ran OK.
              I could NOT see a noticeable difference between the old and new. I believe it may be stiffer rubber in the new one I removed the thermostat but had the same results .
              As far as the motor temp being too high. Apparently I measured it in the wrong place. (An area near the spark plug) When I measured where the book said to measure I got the temperature the book reported.
              Another possibility may be that I didn't get the water tube in all the way. I have the extended shaft and to is hard to see or tell how far the tube is in. If water was leaking there at slower speeds could account for not getting enough water to the pee tube

Comment

Working...
              X