Starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problems

Hey guys, I have an 1981 jetstar boat with a 1981 35hp evinrude motor on it. Right now I just get a click at the starter solenoid. The solenoid is new and so isnt the starter. When I just put the new starter on today when I turned the key over, the starter made a weird noise then sparked when I tried to start it. This originally started when I took it out at the beginning of this year. It ran great and then I parked it, went to go drive it again and it clicked. It finally started turned over and now it just clicks again. I tried jumping the starter and it just sparks. I think this new starter is now fried. My question is, what it causing this and how can I fix it! thanks guys!

Also, The motor does turn over at the flywheel and it is confirmed that its a good battery. I even tried to jump the starter from my car battery

Comment

Normally the clicking sensation and non action at the starter is caused by either a loose cable/wire or a tight but dirty cable/wire. If so, this is normally cured by removing all cables/wires a$$ociated with the starter system, including the battery terminals and the power-head ground, cleaning them and the component they attach to thoroughly, then tightening them securely with a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

Sounds like your new starter was faulty from the beginning.

Comment

Thanks, I have a year warranty on the starter and already contacted the seller. I will be taking all the connections off and cleaning them all with steel wool. All of them are tight. I just didnt know if there could be a fuse or something else between the battery, solenoid and starter that would cause this. I tried finding the wiring diagram but couldnt find one online.

Comment

Working...
        X