No announcement yet.

No power under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noticed new power pack is a different part number than the old one. States for up to 1975 engine. Mine is 1978. So I changed it with an old spare I had. Now it's hard to start but it does start. Seems kind of rough idle. Tested with timing light and have spark on all 3. Could be coincidence though that there are problems with this one. Either way still same issue on load. I have an old trigger ***embly, but not sure if I should swap it. What now?

Comment

I am about as far from Tampa as you can get. Central British Columbia Canada. On Alaska Hwy

Comment

Bogs down

Is there a chance that it is the lower unit ? My bogs down at full throttle, if I raise the motor up out of water it sound like it has full throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by jmyers View Post
          Is there a chance that it is the lower unit ? My bogs down at full throttle, if I raise the motor up out of water it sound like it has full throttle.
          The cavitation plate just above the propeller should be approximately 3/4" below the bottom (keel) of the boat

Comment

hey, just reading through. just for kicks, while non-running, have you shifted into gear and checked to see if your prop locks in? forward or reverse? I don't think this will help but everything crazy is worth a try.

What Part of BC? I grew up south in between Spokane and Colville, Live in Northern Idaho Now

Comment

Hi Joe, Don't want to hack your thread but I'm going through the same issue with a 1990 90hp. 2000rpm max under load, rough but won't stall, starts and idles fine. Been to a couple mechanics but no luck. Short story is that the obvious fuel, carbs, compression and ignition have checked out according to the mechanics. The only thing I know that's bad is the primer solenoid. I've been manually priming with the byp*** valve until I got around to replacing it. You mentioned above that too much fuel could be a possible cause. Is it possible that a bad solenoid could be allowing additional fuel through only under load and cause this?
              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X