1975 85 HP model number 85593e not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 85 HP model number 85593e not firing

I have a 1975 85 hp that is not firing what steps should I take to troubleshoot the issue thanks for your help.

With the spark plugs removed, double check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame...a real SNAP!

If still no spark... remove the black/yellow wire at the power-pack or at the ignition switch, whichever is easiest to get at. Check the spark again.

If you now have proper spark, in all probability, the ignition switch has developed a short, in which case, replace it.

Check the stator under the flywheel. On that model, there is a large black coil at the extreme front and extreme back portion of it that supplies 300 AC volts to the power-pack capacitor. If a sticky looking substance is dripping down on the timer base or power-head from either of those locations, that would result in a voltage drop which in turn would result in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

removed plugs motor turned faster as expected still no spark. Looked under flywheel and did not notice any sticky substance. removed the black/yellow wire at power pack and still no spark. the motor has sat since 2007 could the contacts at the magnets be rusted and cause it not to spark?

Comment

Rust would not interfere with the magnetic field and has never been a problem in the past with me, however it's better that the surfaces be clean.

On that model, if no spark with the s/plugs removed to obtain the fastest cranking speed and with the black/yellow wire removed... the cause I have always come across has been a failed power-pack.

Unfortunately there is no way to test that pack other than to try another one.

It's a good idea to have another pack in your on-board tool kit with the proper tools to change it anyhow. One never knows when they'll decide to fail.

Comment

Ok thanks will try and find one as cheap as I can may just have to sit a while longer

Comment

Leaking

Took the flywheel off and the 2 black coils on the stator is cracked and leaking so I guess that means I will need to replace stator is that correct

Comment

Yes, a cracked leaking stator would result in a voltage drop to the powerpack which would in turn result in weak, erratic, or no ignition. Possibly your powerpack is okay

Comment

Ok I was afraid of that I guess I will let it sit or sell it since they are over 300 for the stator

Comment

Joe could the stator be rebuilt?

Comment

Originally posted by jldotso View Post
                    Joe could the stator be rebuilt?
                    I've seen one of those stators that was supposed to be rebuilt and refused to install it. Don't remember who the rebuilder was... some well known company.

Check with some of the outboard repair shops for a good used one. They're out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X