1971 40hp evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 40hp evinrude

I just bought a boat and it has 1971 40 evinrude and the guy got it from said he had it out last summer and I just had it out, we took carb off and cleaned, Drained lube and tested it in the old garbage and was spittin fine and was running great and about half hr or so, it just died, was overheating, it does turnover and my buddy thinks it's a water pump, can anyone help me out here, is it safe to try to start it and let it run for a few seconds or any thoughts on what to do?? I know nothing ??!! please help Thank you in advance !!!

If it overheated to a point that the engine seized to a stop, there will be a lot of loose bolts, screws, nuts on that power-head, especially the cylinder head bolts. The head bolts must be torqued in the following sequence whereas each number corresponds to a bolt.

The head bolts, at a minimum, will require torquing to factory specifications (18 to 20 foot pounds). If the head gasket blew due to the heat, that would let water into the cylinders, in which case it would require replacing.

If you know nothing, it would be best if you find a friend that has been around outboards for some time and understands a bit of their operation.

In all likely-hood, the water pump is shot... it needs to be inspected at any rate.

Note that the water level, when using a large trash can, must be about 3 or 4 inches above where the lower unit bolts up to the long exhaust housing. The water pump sits on top of the lower unit and must be submerged otherwise it will draw air!
    Last edited by Joe Reeves; 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X