Motor dies (1998 150hp intruder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor dies (1998 150hp intruder)

So I have a couple issues going on. one is when I am running down the lake my motor will die like the kill switch was pulled. That's where it all started anyway, it only did this a few times a year. Now I will run the motor, it works fine till its warm, but once it warms up it dies every time I put it in gear. I dug into the motor a bit to see if anything was out of place and there was no bolt locking in the timing ring. could this be my issue? and how do I time this system? its an OIS2000. There is spark on all 6 cylinders and compression is good. help please.

I retired a few years before your engine was manufactured and am not familiar with your engine's design or circuitry... BUT... some things remain the same. Your problem of the engine shutting down like turning the key off is a common one.

Find the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) at the ignition switch and disconnect it. If that corrects your shut down problem, replace the ignition switch as it has a intermittent short within it.

This may not be your problem but it's the first thing I'd be looking at.

Also, there may be a shift interrupter switch at the power-head linkage whose purpose is to interrupt the ignition for a micro second to allow the engine to be taken out of gear... this knocks out the starboard bank (usually goes unnoticed). If this switch sticks, the engine is running on three (3) cylinders and will more than likely die when put into gear.

Follow the shift linkage piece by piece into the power-head area... you'll eventually come across two wires... a black and a black/yellow wire. That would be the switch.

Again.... perhaps not your problem but worth mentioning.

Comment

do you know what part number either of those switches might be? The model number of my motor is E150GLECD. are they easy to replace? Also I saw a video where a guy un-grounded his shift switch from the rectifier and regulator and it eliminated his shift interrupt. I understand this will make the motor shift harder, but is it bad? is this an ok temporary fix?

Comment

Sorry, since retiring, my books only go up to 1991 and the numbers have no doubt changed. However, if no one jumps in here with that info, any dealership can help you with that..... perhaps the "Purchase Evinrude Parts" listed at the top of this page?

Removing or disconnecting the shift switch is a bad idea. There are some boat weights coupled with engine horse-powers whereas without that shift interrupter switch, it is impossible to take the engine out of gear even at a dead idle.... resulting possibly in collisions, or worse! I have personally encountered this condition... not good!

Comment

I have 1992 40 hp with the same problem should I try the same things.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X