I replaced fuel line and bulb
    I put new spark plugs in
    I installed new fuel filter large and small
    I sprayed, cleaned carbs
    I cleared air filter to fuel tank

Problem 2: biggest issue
    While I was replacing small fuel filter inside motor engine cover
    I disconnected three wires to access fuel line
    The thick red line sparked (had engine power on by mistake) when it touched some metal by mistake: no power to engine except
    The tilt motor still works
    I checked all connections and fuse. All were fine

Don't know what to do next
    Pumping fuel line doesn't bother me as much now I can't start engine

Thanks ahead for any help!!!

Tim

What is the "complete" model number?

The power fuse that applies voltage to the ignition switch is located (inline) in one of the smaller RED wires leading from the starter solenoid... a short 20 ampere fuse.

Spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs gaped at either .040 or .030 .

What is the compression psi reading of "all" cylinders?

With all spark plugs removed, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If you have proper compression and spark, that leaves a fuel problem.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb... you are acting as a manual fuel pump. This indicates either a faulty fuel pump or a leak between the fuel pump and the fuel supply.

Carefully clean the jets, especially the horizontal high speed jet that's located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers with a piece of single strand steel wire... solvent just doesn't do that job properly. Make sure they're absolutely clean!
    Last edited by Joe Reeves; 05-14-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thank u for help

Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC), to a 1989 V-6 2-strok E150tlce

Compression for all six between 93 and 85

Spark test seems good as well, although this is all first time for me

I had gapless plugs. The local Evinrude dealer sold me the champions, I gap tested them as well

Are there more then one fuse in engine? There's a small one near the large red plug that was not blown

I also don't know where or what starter solenoid is to search for fuse unless it's the one I described

I have pictures but can't attach here

Don't see smell any gas leaks

Thanks again

Comment

Fuse is good, is there another some where?

Tilt works, all boat electric works except engine

Could there be s fuse off throttle, I took off throttle cover but saw no fuse

Definable got spark out of exposed red wire when replacing fuel line filter in engine

Many thanks

Comment

(Me: The power fuse that applies voltage to the ignition switch is located (inline) in one of the smaller RED wires leading from the starter solenoid... a short 20 ampere fuse.

You: I also don't know where or what starter solenoid is to search for fuse.)

The large RED cable from the battery leads to the BLACK starter solenoid which is attached to the powerhead (engine). On that same battery terminal that the large RED battery cable is attached to, there will be a few smaller gauge RED wires.

A short distance from the starter solenoid, inline with one of those smaller RED wires will be a fuse holder.... the 20 amp power fuse that leads to the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch.

If this fuse is blown, there will be no voltage to the ignition switch.
          Last edited by Joe Reeves; 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Check the safety cord switch. It may have been bumped to off. That cord connected to the switch & your belt.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclops2 View Post
              Check the safety cord switch. It may have been bumped to off. That cord connected to the switch & your belt.
              That switch disables/enables the ignition. It has no effect upon the voltage.

Comment

150stlcos

I am following this and would be curious to see how this plays out. I also have a 150, but my model is 150STLCOS. not sure evinrude or Johnson, The holes are filled on the cowl, but that doesn't mean anything. I am having a time with getting mine to 250rpms, but also had electrical problems similar to this. Please remember to post if you figure it out so the rest of us can benefit from your knowledge. Thanks

Comment

Control Disconnect

Have you tried to disconnect the controls from the motor and use a remote start to see if there is something wrong in your controls. I guess if you disconnect it, and then use a remote start and it wants to start, then the power loss is most likely somewhere in your controls. If not then it is in the engine compartment.

Comment

Working...
                  X