beeping noisefrom beeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beeping noisefrom beeper

I have a 1989 40hp evenrude equiped with a beeper. while testing with a water muff on and at idle the beeper doesn't go off but as soon as I up the speed the beeper goes off . whats the beeper for?

(Horn Warnings)
    (J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Comment

dang Joe, that is good information. Is this stickied? it should probably be in everyone's face so they can't miss it. I am gonna check mine the next time I get to it, probably tonight, I have been worried about it. I don't ever hear a beep at all.

Thanks For the Info. Sticky would be good.

Comment

Sorry Joe: I forgot to mention that the VRO pump was removed 4yrs ago and I now mix the gas at 50:1 never had a problem the motor is a TE40ELCEO. I put more oil in the can hoping it would do the trick but it didn't thanks much for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 12walt View Post
          Sorry Joe: I forgot to mention that the VRO pump was removed 4yrs ago and I now mix the gas at 50:1 never had a problem the motor is a TE40ELCEO. I put more oil in the can hoping it would do the trick but it didn't thanks much for your input.
          In which case, if you disconnected the VRO and the oil tank wiring, the only warning left would be the overheat warning.

When running on a flushette, DO NOT race the engine up excessively.... and DO have the water pressure turned on full blast.

If that horn comes on when the rig is in the water... change the water pump a$$embly.
          Last edited by Joe Reeves; 05-26-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks joe I replaced the impeller with the kit and put it in a barrel. All is well now.

Comment

Originally posted by 12walt View Post
              Thanks joe I replaced the impeller with the kit and put it in a barrel. All is well now.
              We knew you could do it... happy boating.

Comment

Working...
              X