Is it My VRO pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it My VRO pump?

My motor runs perfect until the primer ball is empty, I prime it till the ball is hard again and it runs great again until the ball is empty. about a 5 minute idle. If I do this about 5 time my no oil light come on, but if I prime the oil ball that goes away too. Is this my VRO pump not sucking or could it be something else. Thanks.

Either the VRO is faulty or the pressure stroke from the crankcase that operates the VRO is not functioning for some reason.

Comment

is there a way to diagnose which it may be?

Comment

Originally posted by jhout0729 View Post
        is there a way to diagnose which it may be?
        Disconnect the hose that leads from the VRO to the crankcase (pressure hose).

Run the engine for just a short time. Every time the piston comes down, you should get one hellava blast out of that hose and if you do, if it were me, I'd replace that VRO.

Comment

is there a problem with just capping the VRO pump off and mixing my oil and gas?

Comment

is there a problem with just capping the VRO pump off and mixing my oil and gas?
            The only way your engine stays running is if you constantly pump the fuel primer bulb... acting as a manual fuel pump.

This proves that your VRO is not pumping fuel. As such, capping off the oil line does nothing.

Comment

So then the vro pump is bad and you think I should replace it? Is it safe to buy remanufactured pumps?

Comment

If the pulse power from the crankcase is okay, then it it were me, I would replace the VRO.... however me not actually being there, that will need to be your judgement call.

Comment

Do you think it could be as easy as a bad primer ball or bad ventilation in the gas tank?

Comment

Do you think it could be as easy as a bad primer ball or bad ventilation in the gas tank?
                    If the VRO was in perfect condition or new, the suction would cause the fuel primer bulb to be drawn flat if there was a restriction at the fuel tank.

You've stated that the primer bulb pumps fuel, otherwise it would never get hard.

So my answer to both of your questions must be "No".

Comment

The primer ball gets hard, but then gets drawn empty, but not flat.

Comment

Connect the engine to a separate gas tank..... what happens?

Comment

So then the vro pump is bad and you think I should replace it? Is it safe to buy remanufactured pumps?

Depending on your VRO, it may be rebuildable. If not, the fuel pump diaphragm is the same for all models.

A rebuildable pump, actually an OMS, oil metering system, has replaceable hose fittings that are held in place by oval stainless steel plates and 2 To** screws. An Evinrude dealer has the repair kits listed in their Evinrude Accessories Catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Reeves View Post
                            Connect the engine to a separate gas tank..... what happens?
                            Should I pre mix the oil when I do this? or just run straight unleaded?

Comment

Should I pre mix the oil when I do this? or just run straight unleaded?
                              Whatever you're using at the present time. All you'd be doing is seeing if the tank made a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X