50 HP Fuse burns out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 HP Fuse burns out

I have a 2004 Evinrude E Tech 50 HP. The 10 amp fuse located behind the starter motor blows as soon as I try to start the engine. The fuse is between a small diameter red wire. Interestingly next to the fuse is a place to store a backup 10 amp fuse. The engine turns over briefly before it blows. The fuse must service the entire engine as it also feeds the trim. I see no obvious reason for it to blow. Wires all look good.

Originally posted by SandyPond View Post
    I have a 2004 Evinrude E Tech 50 HP. The 10 amp fuse located behind the starter motor blows as soon as I try to start the engine. The fuse is between a small diameter red wire. Interestingly next to the fuse is a place to store a backup 10 amp fuse. The engine turns over briefly before it blows. The fuse must service the entire engine as it also feeds the trim. I see no obvious reason for it to blow. Wires all look good.
    That power fuse, if it is the one that supplies voltage to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch, has always been a short 20 ampere fuse.

When was it changed to a low 10 amp fuse?

Comment

I am pretty sure it came that way new because even the spare was 10 amps.

Comment

Check a service manual or inquire of a local dealer. A 10 amp fuse in a starter circuit would be a great surprise to me! That circuit has been the same and had the same ampere draw since day one.... for me that would be 1960.

Comment

Working...
        X